My thoughts on the 200 so far..........

Had the 200 for one and a half weeks now and getting used to it. I had a 2006 197 before so it is logical it would be compared to that.

Engine
Even with just 500miles on the clock I can tell it's much better than the 197. The low down torque has been improved alot and thus driveability is much better. This also shows with improved MPG as I don't have to shift down as much.

I haven't really explored the engine yet as I'm still to take it on track.

Handling
The 200 is fitted with the Cup pack whereas the 197 wasn't. The ride most definately reflects the extra stiffness of the suspension but it is bearable. On the bumpiest of country roads it does have trouble transferring its power to the tarmac but nothing a bit of throttle control won't sort.

The steering is as expected with some feedback. It could be improved but I can still tell exactly what the car is doing. It is hard to explain but you can feel every bit of what the tyre is doing, it's lateral load and slip angle to exactly when it loses grip. Combined with the brakes you can get it sideways into a corner with predictability. You can tell the weight transfer from each side with ease.

Overall, it is a great car and what the 197 should have been. There is something missing but I just can't figure it out but I'm sure I'll find out someday.

Good summary, it's pleasing to note as i wasn't sure i'd done the right thing by ordering a 200 and letting the 197 go.

wait till you get to about 1500 miles something clicks in the engine and its starts flying theres even a little kick at 5k and takes off more! BUT as ado said there is something missing i cant tell what it is though, im hoping its the time of year

Well I'm jist shy of 9k on the clock and the exhaust is sweet all the time, from a gentle rumble to a full blown roar. I agree the cup suspension does let it down over poor roads and driving in town is best avoided. Apart from a squeeky seats and a new gearbox the car has been a riot to drive. However you still get the occasional funny feedback from the steering when it goes light all of a sudden at low speeds.

I think on my own experience is that you know what you are getting all the time with the 200. It's not like a turbo where thre is one big push it's just a constant nudge. So I feel the predicability of the car has possibly taken the gloss off an otherwise superb car.

Ive owned mine for just over a month now, and hit the 600mile run in period the other day. Gave it a bit of a blast (within reason) and it sounds amazing. Doesnt feel as fast as my 172, but thats probably because I have that decatted so it was loud as ****, giving false impression of speed.
I hope that the engine does have more to give though. It certainly feels like theres still alot more to come.

The missing bit seems to be a feeling that makes you feel perfectly connected to the car. I really do wish we could go back to the old style power steering though if it would give more feel.

I forgot to mention the Recaros are worth every £ for me. I used to slide about in the standard seats but these hold you in so much better.

Got 2.5k on mine now and realised last night how much nicer it sounds :smile:

They sound better and better each day, wasn't keen on the lack of sound on mine when i got it but now its got 10k on the clock it sounds really . . ? . ? cant quite think of a word, lets say you know how if you had your eyes shut and a Subrau drove past you know that sound anywhere, well the 200 has its own sound thats just for the 200 and i love it!!!

just been out for another drive again an its gone up a notch again its really wierd like i hit warp from about 2500rpm. didnt realise how quick i was going till she got a bit frisky on a roundabout that i accidently took at about 45!! still feels wooly though the handling doesnt fill me with confidence yet

give it time andy, i've had mine for 9months and still love it :smile: mind you i did go from a 1.1 citroen c2, driving machine hahahaha

ive come from classic minis rx7 ,200sx and an integra type rdc2 so ive been spoiled with good handling cars lol

The engine certainly does seem to come alive after about 1500 miles, mine's like a stabbed rat now, although I guess the nice cold air is helping too.

Andy, get it on a track day somewhere relatively safe like Bedford and get it out of shape. Once you know what it feels like on the limit, you get a lot more confidence in it... it'll keep on going way beyond what your brain is telling you is right!

I will say it feels a bit figity on cold tyres and roads though, so I get your point.

The engine certainly does seem to come alive after about 1500 miles, mine's like a stabbed rat now, although I guess the nice cold air is helping too.

Andy, get it on a track day somewhere relatively safe like Bedford and get it out of shape. Once you know what it feels like on the limit, you get a lot more confidence in it... it'll keep on going way beyond what your brain is telling you is right!

I will say it feels a bit figity on cold tyres and roads though, so I get your point.

the integra was really tail happy, the clio just feels very different like if i pushed it in the same way as the integra id be off in to a ditch. its an odd feeling

Yup, it goes light and 4-wheel slides, very neutral so you have to steer it on the throttle. Rather than the usual old skool tail happy French technique of giving it a load of oppo and right foot.

ive noticed these things feel like they have a lsd fitted, you can drag them off a corner on a dry road but when its wet it takes a bit more effort to get the same effect

Funny you say that, I have wondered if the ESP/ABS is configured to work like an e-diff??

Certainly seems that way, as you feel it power understeering pushing the nose wide, rather than spinning the inside away and going nowhere.

Yup, it goes light and 4-wheel slides, very neutral so you have to steer it on the throttle. Rather than the usual old skool tail happy French technique of giving it a load of oppo and right foot.

That is what I love. It isn't hard to get it right as it does exactly what you want.