My appraisal of R27

Spent the morning driving the R27 for the first time....

Good points
Got really good road presence and turns heads. You do feel like your driving something special in the R27 (LY helps)...a bit like M' or RS or Abarth...Renault should have given it more power to justify the way it looks...(as a response to its a 197 in drag)
Suspension out the box is perfect with regard to feel and grip....
Miltek gives it character. Perfect for us in the 'not too loud camp'. Leave that for you younger guys!!!!
Driving position is great..helped by those sexy seats....
Engine above 3k really sings and pulls really well....you just want to drive all day in it....

Downside
The car sits a little too high..from some angles it looks like its on its tip toes...and its suppose to be lower than 197???
Wheels sit too far into the arches...wheels needed a better offset. I guess that why people use spacers....
Engine below 3k...I know they like to be revved but...nothing but flat spots then whooooossssss....First thing I did when I got to office was ring Jamsport to book it in for remap and matched inlets!!!!! New year before this happens
Daughter (who's taking driving lessons) found it funny as I 'bunny hopped' down the road when it was cold...
Gearbox ratio on motorway...now I know they are mainly built for twisty stuff but I lol....car feels like its in 4th when in 6th!!!! I kept checking I was in the right gear...
Steering can feel a little detached..would have like a little more feel....
Recaro cloth is like tissue paper.....
Was out for half hour and people want to race me already!!! I get the feeling I best get use to that....
I'm gonna lose my license because this thing is FUN, FUN, FUN....Why didn't it have a true 200 Bhp at the wheels. What a car it would have been..???
Styling aside.....If the 200 by all accounts irons out the small stuff, I must agree with journalist, its the revision of these small things that have turned a great car into a all time great.

Please Renault next gen give us a 225 NA engine, styling like the front of the new meg, and I'll be at the front of the queue...although the only place R27 would be going is to the track...:thumbup:

Last edited:
Now that sounds pretty much bang on to me, nicely summed up! I've yet to have anyone try to race me though. Be interested to see just how much difference the remap makes too.

Spent the morning driving the R27 for the first time....

the only place R27 will be going is to the track...[/B]:thumbup:

and then you'll enjoy it even more the steering feels so right on a track leave the spacers and ride height till after

good blokes at jamsport did my inlets well and i think they do more than match the ends they gon all the way through. it will drive alot smoother once mapped and it wont kangroo as much when cold.

I can agree with all of those points mate, it looks quite bad as you have got a lot more for the negatives rather than the positives, but the way I have read it is that the good points far out weigh the bad ones! Well at least that is the way I feel about mine! I hope the remap and inlets go some way towards improving a few of those points, I haven't had the 'kangaroo' issue for some time - getting used to cold starts in these cars takes a while lol!

agreed with the gearing! Ive had mine for a few weeks now, and love it more and more each time i drive it!

Mine came with spacers and the stance it gives it looks hardcore. You get so many looks in it its untrue!

Where abouts are you from litchy? Good to see the project up and running, awesome job mate!! They are great cars.

Looking good! :thumbup:

You shouldn't be thinking of the negatives when you are driving a car like that! :chair: :-p