Mx-5

Anyone got any experience of these?

In the next year or so I'm gonna be saving for and then looking to buy a weekend toy and track toy so I can keep the clio in the best condition.

In the past I'd always seen them as a little girly, but after looking around I think with some mods and track prep It could be made to look pretty nice. Should also provide some top down fun.

Other stuff I'd looked at were:

S2k (but they were way too expensive, and I know I'd fall in love and want to make it mint and not track it, like I have with the clio lol!)

Fiesta ZS (cheap to buy, cheap-ish to modify, decent gains from the engine, plenty of potential and I'm a ford man at heart)

Some pics of what I've been looking at... (pictures taken from MX-5Nutz, sorry if its someone elses car)
MX5BlackS.jpg

70410647.jpg

my neighbours brother has got an "old" one and drives it just for the drifting round roundabouts :thumbup:

they are quite durable motors

My sister got a new mx5 it's so nice but like you say little bit to girly

Nice examples Robo, from all accounts they are excellent track cars, highly tunable and a really good chassis plus you can pick em up pretty cheap these days.

Yeah from what I've seen £1500 gets a decent example. Though they are all 'high mileage' but again as Si said by a lot of accounts i've read they are strong engines.

Roy it would HAVE to be modified my mates would never let me live it down If I turned up to the pub in a standard one lol

Oh and the drifting around roundabouts, I think thats a must if you own a RWD car isn't it? Its probably the one biggest thing making me look more seriously at the MX than say a ZS fiesta or VTS saxo.

Under powered generally from what I've seen even despite weighing next to nothing.

What about a 172?

Can't get sideways in a 172 Tom (unless you get it pretty wrong). But your right they are underpowered especially coming from the 197.

I think they between 90-130bhp standard. Unless you get a Turbo or Supercharged one in which case you looking at 180-230bhp but they obviously cost a lot more to buy in the first place.

Also insurance on a 172 would be fairly pricey for it to be a 2nd/3rd car, and I don't like the idea of not using the car on the road.

Yeah from what I've seen £1500 gets a decent example. Though they are all 'high mileage' but again as Si said by a lot of accounts i've read they are strong engines.

Roy it would HAVE to be modified my mates would never let me live it down If I turned up to the pub in a standard one lol

Oh and the drifting around roundabouts, I think thats a must if you own a RWD car isn't it? Its probably the one biggest thing making me look more seriously at the MX than say a ZS fiesta or VTS saxo.

:rofl::rofl: know what you meen

mk2 golf gti 1.8t anyone? or i see the cupras are getting cheap, have thot about selling the 197 and getting one. love the shape of them.

I've always liked the golfs, I nearly bought a 1.8 16v Gti Mk2 a few years back. For me its a little too posy but epic cars all the same!

by Cupra you mean Leon? If so I was on track with some Cupra R's the other week and they shifted! I was very surprised as I always saw them as a bit 'lardy'.

Don't get me wrong they weren't breaking any lap records (neither was I!) but they held the track better than I thought. Compared to the 197 and R32 Golf I was driving which I thought would hammer them round a track TBH.

Have you seen the new hard core one in this months Evo mag???

what about a civic vtec, just a few tweeks and there awesome on track

ive also been looking at mx5s at the moment there a a few really nice ones on pistonheads at the moment