Mk4 220 to a Mk3 200

Daniel_S

Paid Member
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any one had made the switch from a Mk4 220 trophy to a Mk3 200?

Really considering it myself, I have long history with 172/182 and not really clicked with the Mk4 after 2 years. It's great daily etc but I seem to have an itch for N/A and a manual box again!

Most people make the change up, the mk3 won’t be quicker and definitely has a worse interior :smile:

however theres more reward in driving a mk3

take one for a test drive would be beneficial

I always felt the Mk4 interior was worse with its lack of customisation/optional extras compared to the Mk3 and the POS infotainment system.

At least the Mk3 interior looks somewhat different to the basic spec Mk3 with a little effort. Same can’t be said about the Mk4.

Last edited:
Most people make the change up, the mk3 won’t be quicker and definitely has a worse interior :smile:

however theres more reward in driving a mk3

take one for a test drive would be beneficial

Moving from a Mk3 to a Mk4 seems the move logical approach, totally agree.

I am not so concerned with either car being quicker it's more the engagement aspect that I feel is missing from the Mk4 for me. This is no disrespect to the car, as its very good. Just I do not to seem to love it as such.

Also a house move is on the cards next year so some cash to support is welcome.

A test drive would be an ideal situation and something I am looking to undertake. I was hoping someone had made the same switch and could give an overview of there experience for me.

a bit different to me but I had a clio rs200 2 years ago. traded it for a clio v6. but after 6 or so months I missed the clio rs200 and changed back. ok the clio v6 is slightly all together different type of car and have another car in my garage but for a hot hatch run about. I missed it. its quick enough for the roads and around the corners it will keep up with the best.

I'd definitely have a drive and see what you think. You may miss the torque of the turbo engine, so probably worth testing the water.

I'd probably try a couple of other cars while you're about it. A Fiesta ST, or Pug 208 by Peugeot Sport, that kind of thing. Might make a nice middle ground, as they're probably a bit more raw than the 220, but still more modern than the 200.

I went from a 200 to Fiesta St then back from the ST to a 200.

The torque difference is night and day in standard form. After the initial readjustment when going back to the 200 from the ST you get used to it.

I went from a 200 to Fiesta St then back from the ST to a 200.

The torque difference is night and day in standard form. After the initial readjustment when going back to the 200 from the ST you get used to it.

Can I ask what made you switch back to a 200 from the ST? The fiesta was on my list when looking at the 220.

Can I ask what made you switch back to a 200 from the ST? The fiesta was on my list when looking at the 220.

I just missed the excitement from the 200. I had 245bhp in my FiST and on track I just found it boring tbh. It lacked what the 200 had in spades.

It's not all about straight line speed / power. Track days are limited for me, living in Cornwall it's a fair drive before being close to a track. We have some great roads to enjoy. The 220 is to easy at times with the EDC.

Perhaps I can help.

I went from a daily 527bhp V10 e61 M5 Touring daily to my 200

Haven’t looked back! So much more fun on the daily commute, has climate and cruise and then will batter a track day!

411F0BB0-8C72-4053-9172-D2E8A2A4AD22.jpeg

to

7C57726A-4341-4DEC-91EA-FB0D847B592E.jpeg

spend a little bit in the interior and it’s actually not a bad place to be. Make sure you get the drivers seat lowered!!!

ECFCFBE7-FD35-47E6-8322-197071D0089F.jpegC190DB9B-5961-4E47-B0FF-A4400A6E09CC.jpeg752DD19F-D687-4EFF-9BAB-B2CC806E7C0D.jpegFC9F63C4-82A6-4202-938F-381960A247DF.jpeg

other cars in the stable are a Z3m coupe and Porker 944 and the Clio is still the quickest point to point and delivers the most feedback.

Last edited:
Perhaps I can help.

Haven’t looked back! So much more fun on the daily commute, has climate and cruise and then will batter a track day!

View attachment 140422

to

View attachment 140425

spend a little bit in the interior and it’s actually not a bad place to be. Make sure you get the drivers seat lowered!!!

View attachment 140426View attachment 140427View attachment 140428View attachment 140429

other cars in the stable are a Z3m coupe and Porker 944 and the Clio is still the quickest point to point and delivers the most feedback.

Thanks for the feedback Matt. Stunning 200 BTW. Especially like the retrimmed steering wheel.

I have generally been a Renaultsport guy but I did have an E46 M3 for a while, great car and ticked that one of my list of must own, but always seem to come back to an RS.

Test drive in a decent looking 200 lined up for Saturday, if it's as good as I expect then it might just be coming home with me.

Perhaps I can help.

View attachment 140422

to

View attachment 140425

View attachment 140426View attachment 140427View attachment 140428View attachment 140429

I bet the maintenance is a bit cheaper on the Clio. I have heard some monumental horror stories about the V10 M5 :tearsofjoy:

Thanks for the feedback Matt. Stunning 200 BTW. Test drive in a decent looking 200 lined up for Saturday, if it's as good as I expect then it might just be coming home with me.

Thank you! I’ve pretty much finished tinkering now!

Let know how you get on!

Lovely 200 mate who did all the interior bits royal steering wheels?

love the yellow sticker where from?

It was royals yes: they did steering wheel, gear gator and clock pod to match the mats and recaros. The clock pod is my favourite touch cos you glance at it so much!

The sticker was from eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282016865576
And the yellow start button from carbon skins - who also did all my outside badges/bullets etc

5BB4C2C8-3964-46FD-9EB3-47D2663C99B6.jpeg

I bet the maintenance is a bit cheaper on the Clio. I have heard some monumental horror stories about the V10 M5 :tearsofjoy:

I am enjoying generally getting 4 of something for the price of 1 M5 version! Tyres, pads, discs etc!

And I did hold my breath when firing it up every morning - but 20k trouble free miles in 3 years. Bought it for 18.5k and sold it for £24k

Do miss it though!! Finest engine ever built! Simply phenomenal

Reactions: massivewangers
Rather than starting a new thread an update to this one.

Saturday alarm set for 4.45am and on the road by 5.30 to view a 200. On arrival the car was as described and looked great. On the test drive and my expectations were well and truly met with out pushing the car. Go kart feel, I have been missing with a rev happy engine and manual box. Deal done and time to head home.

First impressions it does lack torque low down compared to the 220 however, it was still pull cleanly from low down and easy to keep with the flow of traffic. Only had the opportunity to really open her up once or twice, the engine has so much character.

Build quality is not as good as the Mk4 inside, was expecting that but still a nice place to be with the recaro seats.

Will put some pictures up shortly, today has been the Mrs birthday so not much chance to mess as yet.

I went from a MK4 220 Trophy to a MK3 200 FF and I love it. 220 was a nice car but 200 is definitely more fun. slower in a straight line but for everything else I prefer the 200 as it puts a smile on my face. Genuinely think the 200 cup suspension is better than the 220 trophy springs too and I didn’t get on with the edc gearbox unless going flat out in a straight line. MK3 looks better in my opinion and overall drives a little nicer. I’d say the 220 is better for commuting, cruising and has five doors for practicality but the 200 is a more fun, rewarding and the better car. Hope this helps.