Mk3 Rear Lights / Earth

MarcB

Paid Member
One of the most common problems in a Renault are bad earths, The amount of Clios, Megane's, Modus's & other models I see with the disco lights on the rear are a lot.

Now mine has started and I want to tackle the problem full on and make sure everything "EARTH" wise is making a good contact and is clean.

Problem is I know all about the Mk2 182 earth straps but wondering can anyone point me in the correct direction on there exact location within the Clio Mk3 RS.

If it's any help, my passenger rear light stopped working and it was the plug contact (same as the mk2 problems I'd encountered before) so I just cleaned up the contacts up and it was all good.

So I have looked at both earths in the picture above and they are perfect, No rust, No damage and they are secure also.

But im still getting the disco lights on the N/S/R light cluster.

I have had the light out, Dried it out on a radiator for 8 hours and check all connectors and everything seems fine.

Im wondering if there is any other earth's on the car as I don't want to fork out £80 on a new light cluster & bulb holder if I don't have too.

Call me daft but have you swapped the bulbs around from the working cluster to the iffy cluster? Does it still happen?

Call me daft but have you swapped the bulbs around from the working cluster to the iffy cluster? Does it still happen?

This I have not done as all bulbs seem to work but they all just flash when the indicator goes and and then worse when I brake.
I might swap lights and see what happens.

Standard troubleshooting - is it the bulb(s), cluster or wiring that's causing the issue.

Eliminate the bulbs being an issue by swapping known working bulbs over.

Eliminate the wiring by tracing and checking & tracing connector blocks/wiring/earths/relays etc.

Eliminate the cluster by testing with a friends and/or replace for used/new cluster.

What you've described certainly sounds like a bad earth somewhere. Even if the earths "look" okay, take them out and give them a dose of WD40 and a quick clean and put them back just to be sure. Same with connector blocks, unplug, small dab of WD40 and a quick clean and pop back together.

If you've eliminated all of the above, I'm not sure what else to suggest! Perhaps check the brake pedal switch and stalk switches?

I want to check the earths but I need to find out where they all are.

The Mk2 has the common box to chassis earth, Does the Mk3 also have that. ?

This is the connector thats connects everything to the back end of the car burrellbloke had water in the passenger footwell and corroded the connector pins might be your problem you did power wash the arches maybe bit too far the bulb holder will be all you need not the whole tail light. 1675888242519.png

Reactions: Sean197 and LiamP
Update On This

So last night I stripped the back end and checked all connectors and cables.
I checked the earth also and while doing this is was checking wires for any breaks or cracks along with dampness.

I then took a the airline and blew out all the connectors and then gave them a spray with WD40 and then another blow out.

Then went to the front and lifted the carpet to find the large connection as above.
Unplugged , Blew it out and then plugged it back in, This was in perfect condition with no water or dampness.

I now believe the issues is solely down to my N/S/R bulb holder.
Everything is working fine and all good just now after yesterdays investigation.

So I have spoke with Renault and when you buy a tail light you get the bulb holder.
I then asked if I can buy the bulb holder and was told that it was not sold on its own.

As its a valeo unit I called Valeo tech and gave them the numbers off the bulb holder and they said that they do not sell the holder, I asked what they do sell and they only sell the actual lamp with nothing else.
Valeo tech told me that the bulb holder is only sold buy Renault from factory and no one else.

So looks like if im right I will be buying to new rear lights with bulb holders as im not only replacing just the one.

Good work... id just grab a second hand light from ebay/breakers and swap the bulb holder into your light. Light work and will be much cheaper!

So I think that the issue is with the rubber seal on the bulb holder that potentially letting water in.
If I buy second hand I could then run into the issue again but if I buy two new rear full units it should rule out the lights & bulb holders fully.

It could cost me 2 / 3 light units from eBay before I fond one with a decent seal but if I buy new and genuine im all good.