Mk2 Scirocco Track Car

Copied this over from Club GTI. Edited the intro, as it wouldnt have made sense on here. So i start with the distance.

Sadly, the car was located 290 miles drive away in Scotland, so a quick day trip to view was out the question.

The car was prepared back in 2000 as a Tarmac Rally / Sprint / Clubman event race car. It has been used at various events, at stage rallies. Notably Kames. The owner knew Bill Brockbank, Nick Wilson and Chris Eyre from Kames. However, it only covered a couple of hundred miles a year and was mostly garaged. Back in 2007 the owner took it off the road, and didnt get it road legal until Feb this year, to prepare the car for sale.

So here are some pics of the car as advertised.

5654156265_42c40fb39b_b.jpg

5654154567_eafde80a20_b.jpg

5654725568_d6945977f7_b.jpg

5654723860_5ba1efb139_b.jpg

So, when the car was home and in the garage. I set to it with the hair dryer and my poor fingers. I spent around 2-3 hours de-stickering the car on the first night. However, all was not pretty under the stickers. It appeared as though scuffs, and badly repaired paint had been completely hidden by the stickers. Disaster. [:^(]

5654168833_36c41a4148_b.jpg

5654169505_09bca45317_b.jpg

The passenger door was covered in skims of filler. [8(]

5654170257_057b5a11e4_b.jpg

The day after, i decided to hit Halfords with an action plan. And bought £60 of stuff to give the doors a quick fix "Once over". I have never sprayed anything other than an eyebrow spoiler in the past, but decided to give it a go.

The doors were given a sanding, filling, sanding, primering and top coat. The finish isnt perfect. But its way better than what was there before. The car is only a track car, but i have decided that eventually the bodywork will get a full repair and respray at some stage. Not essential at the moment, as i just wanted it to look a bit better.

5654755300_0d89cf1720_b.jpg

5654181797_2b76549a0f_b.jpg

5654755742_2b3a7e4d71_b.jpg

The paintwork was given some wet sanding and here is how the car looks now. There is clearly a colour difference sadly, but still. Temp job and all that. [:y:]

5654188855_5e65f71ea0_b.jpg

Im still happy that it looks a lot better than scraped and peeled paint from bad repairs and hidden damage.

5654762870_90690e7773_b.jpg

5654189763_53d19b0e5e_b.jpg

5654763876_a0e60fe36a_b.jpg

All tucked up. [:*:]

5654189257_5649793849_b.jpg

Huge garage, but stupidly small doors. Meaning the car has to be parked quite close to one wall. God knows why it wasnt designed with central doors.

5654763340_6794c59565_b.jpg

More pics on my Photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukedeakin/

So what are the specs:

Volkswagen Scirocco GTi, 1.8i 8V, 128BHP, MSA-RAC Log-Booked Tarmac Rally Car.

Chassis:
Strengthened Stitch Welded Shell
Safety Devices Roll Cage
OMP Front Upper and Front Lower Strut Braces
Fully Poly-Bushed Suspension
Spax 14 Point Adjustable Rear Shock Absorbers
AVO Adjustable Coil Over Front Shock Absorbers
AVO Front and Rear Coil Springs
2 Sets of White Sebring Alloy Wheels
1 Set of Yokohama A038 Tyres in Very Good Condition
2 Used Michelin N20 Competition Tyres and 2 Yoko A520 Tyres
Strenghtened Rear Axle Mounting Points on Chassis
Front and Rear Anti-Roll Bars with Poly-Bush Mountings
Strengthened Bulkhead at Brake Servo
Strengthened Floor at Seat Mountings
Stripped and Lightened Doors with Poly-Carbonate Side Front Windows and Sliders

Interior:
OMP Eco Competition Seats
5 Point Harnesses
Navigators Map Light and Foot Rest with Horn Push
Spare Wheel Mounted Fuel Pump and Fuel Accumulator
Kuterlex Plastic Coated Copper Internal Fuel Lines
Internal Stainless Braded Brake Lines with Wilwood Adjustable Lever Brake Bias Valve
Short Throw Gear Selector Mechanism

Engine:
Origin of engine from a Mk2 Golf GTI. B registration.
Ashley Competition Exhaust System with 4 into 2 into 1 Heat Wrapped Manifold
Audi GT Large Venturi Throttle Body with Modified Manifold
Baffled Sump with Windage Tray Sump Gasket
Mocal 256mm x 12 Row Oil Cooler
Green Cotton Induction Cone Air Filter In Front of Radiator
Samco Coolant Hoses
7mm Durallium Sump Guard

Safety:
Battery Cut Off Switch
Plumbed In Fire Extinguisher
T Pull Battery Cut Off and Fire Extinguisher System
Fibreglass Fuel Tank Guard
Alloy Bulkhead Fitted Over Spare Wheel Well

Brakes:
Hydraulic Handbrake Cylinder Fitted (not connected)
Pagid Sport Brake Materials
Front Grille Mounted Air Ducts for Front Brakes
256mm Front discs (Audi origin)

The engine was rebuilt with new valve stem seals, new gaskets, new timing belt, new water pump, remanufactured alternator, new coolant flanges and elbows, the gearbox had new clutch kit, spigot shaft bearing, new push rod actuator and driveshaft seals.

Future Plans:

Well, eventually i would like to swap the power unit for a decent 16v engine. Some more lightening. Finish the rest of the Lexan windows. Composite seats instead of the tubular framed seats. Maybe some more work on the cage. I would like to have a proper harness bar welded in to the rear backstays as well.

For now, the car will probably only get a couple of outings this year.

Let me know what you think. [:y:]

Nope, still here at the moment. Went to DVLA in Garretts Green today to get my cherished plate retention started off. Popped into BTM on the way back to get the car booked in for Saturday to get the centre box put back on as well.

This is and only will be a track car, separate from my daily. However, i might look at an Audi A4 Avant as a tow car, or a Mk5 GT TDI as a daily now. Or wait for a decent GTI to come up at work.

Finally! Been waiting for this thread for ages! Looking good mate! Good job on the door.

Its a great car. It really is. It just doesnt do it for me im afraid, ive tried to bond with it over the past 9 months. Dubber at heart.

Looks nice, are these a good base for a track car?

They are based on the Mk1 Golf really, so excellent. Lightweight when stripped. Hoping mine comes in at around 900kg or lighter, and there is much more room for improvement in the weight department as well.

At the moment the Power to weight ratio is around 144bhp per ton, not too far from the Clio. With a decent 16v lump in there, i should be able to get 160-170bhp out of it without much work, meaning the power to weight ratio jumps up to 191 bhp per ton.

If i can get the weight down to 800-850kg max, then its over 203 bhp per ton. :thumbup1:

Nope, still here at the moment. Went to DVLA in Garretts Green today to get my cherished plate retention started off. Popped into BTM on the way back to get the car booked in for Saturday to get the centre box put back on as well.

This is and only will be a track car, separate from my daily. However, i might look at an Audi A4 Avant as a tow car, or a Mk5 GT TDI as a daily now. Or wait for a decent GTI to come up at work.

Have you found a new home for the modified centre section?

Very nice car fella! Shame it isn't something that could cure the DUB itch though and then you could have both that and the Clio!

Did you see the Ad on Pistonheads or eBay Mike? :smile:

Oh, I dont remember. It was no doubt an afternoon in work surfing but I remember it struck me as great value. Not as much scene tax on the Rocco, yet great base cars due to weight and low centre of gravity.

Should be quick!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Clio General Chat 5
B Clio General Chat 0
SeanTheSheep Clio General Chat 6
Deaks Other Marques 2
D Other Renault Sports 12