Knocking Help!!

Big Ben

Loves to rag the VAG!
Paid Member
Here's the story. Just bought some shiny new wheel bolts off eBay as recommended on this forum.
Changed them all and looking good.
Gone for a drive and now have a big clonk, clonk,clonking noise when turning slightly to the right at 20-40mph!!
What have I done or is it a massive coincidence?
Ball joint or driveshaft seem to be common problems but I drove it yesterday and it was fine. Aargghh

Here's the story. Just bought some shiny new wheel bolts off eBay as recommended on this forum.
Changed them all and looking good.
Gone for a drive and now have a big clonk, clonk,clonking noise when turning slightly to the right at 20-40mph!!
What have I done or is it a massive coincidence?
Ball joint or driveshaft seem to be common problems but I drove it yesterday and it was fine. Aargghh

Check you havent cross threaded any of the bolts.

changed the bolts one by one?

or took them all off and then put all new ones on....wheel could be loose...

changed the bolts one by one?

or took them all off and then put all new ones on....wheel could be loose...

Took 2 or 3 off at a time. If wheel was loose thought I'd feel that through the steering wheel?
Will re check all of them just to be sure

Took 2 or 3 off at a time. If wheel was loose thought I'd feel that through the steering wheel?
Will re check all of them just to be sure

I cant imagine you're ball joint would suddenly give up after some slight disturbance... It takes time for it to weaken to a knocking noise and gets audibly louder over the months.

It's likely an error of your own as it's so sudden.

If you cant fix it, get it investigated. Could well be a ball joint, not crossing that off the list!!

If it's the tpi ones they go slightly deeper because of the taper, and the last little bit is a little tough where it's new thread, make sure you've done them enough, did you use a torque wrench?

My Bad:scared:
Hadnt quite nipped up the OSF wheel!
You are right Chris. That last little bit tested my arm out.
Sorry to of bothered you all.
Drama Queen

Glad its sorted, easily done, but could have been a lot worse. Get a torque wrench! :smile:

Feels like I've won something for a change!
Sunk a fair few quid into her recently so was fearing the worst.
Torque wrench on my ever growing shopping list:innocent: