Kilimanjaro - Anyone climbed it?

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
It's a long shot I know, but has anyone here walked up Kilimanjaro?

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip there for late 2014. Originally I was going to do it just for myself, however i've decided that as part of it I should use it to help raise some money for charity.

I'll be funding the trip myself, then outside of that raising sponsorhip for a charity (not sure which yet, probably the one we support at work which is Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance service).

Has anyone attempted anything like this? Any tips, help or advice?

Chris

Want a companion?! Im in need of another adventure!! lol...

Ive not done SA personally, but from experience, buy a Lonely Planet to aid research, best travel guides going. I practically lived by one for 6months in Asia

Forget that, go to Venezuela.

Its an amazing country bloody massive rite enough. I was there for a month trecking and holidaying.

We climbed a peak in the Andes and Mt Roraima, the highest table top mountain in the world
JdARm.jpg
ep4ez3.jpg

We also stood in 3 countries at once, Venezuela, Brazil & Columbia.

It has its downfalls though we were advised to get out of Caracas ASAP on arrival as its so hostile :lol:

Get yourself a good guide book for sherpas, hotels/hostels and restaurants.

Have you done anything like this before ?

Want a companion?! Im in need of another adventure!! lol...

Ive not done SA personally, but from experience, buy a Lonely Planet to aid research, best travel guides going. I practically lived by one for 6months in Asia

If you're serious then yeah, the more the merrier! Your only down the road from me!

I've never done anything like this, snowdon horseshoe is the most I've done. It's going to be October next year, so a good 18 months to get some training in.

Mark, How long did that table top mountain take? The route I'm looking at for Kili is 6 days trekking, 10 days in total with flights etc. I'm looking at booking with these guys http://www.reallywildchallenges.com/

I did mount Kenya with the British army and they had the guilds take us the long way (took 3 days)it was an absolute beasting and the altitude sickness is a kick in the teeth as well, smokers seem to suffer a lot less with it good luck

It took 3 days to get up it we spent a night up there and treked for a day along the top of it visiting various sights. It was a day and a bit to come back down it.

The views from the top are amazing as theres another rite next to it the for miles its flat. Really sureal when your at the edge.

We went with http://www.world-challenge.co.uk/home.asp

I did mount Kenya with the British army and they had the guilds take us the long way (took 3 days)it was an absolute beasting and the altitude sickness is a kick in the teeth as well, smokers seem to suffer a lot less with it good luck

Ascending in 3 days? No wonder you suffered the altitude sickness. They have a minimum number of days for the routes, i'm sure the shortest is listed as 5 days. This is to help aclimatise to the altitude better i think.

I've read about smokers suffering less, is that because their bodies have adapted to accepting less oxygen or something? I'm not a smoker, so that's me screwed!