key fob problem

hi not sure if this is the best place to put this but here goes. wonder if anyone can shed any light.

I seem to be having trouble getting in to my 197 the key fob does nothing. it wont open the doors. i tried my spare thinking it might be the battery that needs replacing but just the same. I opened up using the key within the fob to get in but the dash said CARD NOT DETECTED.
i inserted the card in to the key slot and the car would then start no problem but would not lock afterwards. so my car is currently unlocked at the moment.
thanks Rich.

Not sure if it will help, but apparently the card has a rechargable battery in it which uses the same type charger as an electric toothbrush. When you insert the card in to the slot it charges. So if the card has hardly ever been in the slot it won't have any charge. I haven't taken a card apart at any point and I'm not a mechanic, but maybe just give it a quick try? You can lock the car with the emergancy key located at the bottom of the card, it slides out. The battery is located there too. Only the passenger door has a key hole.

Recently I have found that mobile phones interfier with the card too. So make sure it isn't in the same pocket.

Good luck, and hopefully someone else will know some more info!

It will be the battery mate - it happened to mine last week. the replacements are CR2025 and you can get then from Halfords or any car spares shop. 10 second job to swap!

I have never used the slot and am still using the same card since I got it 2.5 years ago! If the batteries have been dead for too long, then you may need the key re-programming to the car. As far as I am aware, this can only be done by the dealer.

If both cards don't work then I'm afraid its not the battery, but the RF circuit on the UCH module thats knackered. :worried:
Thats the subsystem responsible for the cabin electronics (a/c, locks, etc.)

I've had this happen in my Megane II.. One day both keycards just stopped working. I had to lock and unlock the car using the little key hidden inside the keycard until I got it fixed... Quite expensive if you 're out of warranty!

mm doesnt look too good then just a month out of warranty..sods law i guess

If you 're only one month out of warranty I think Renault will cover a percentage of the cost...

The problem with these UCH modules is that after they 've been programmed once they are 'locked' to the car, so you can't buy a used one...

i would try a new battery first as youre spare might be dead aswel, being stood for so long.

If you 're only one month out of warranty I think Renault will cover a percentage of the cost...

The problem with these UCH modules is that after they 've been programmed once they are 'locked' to the car, so you can't buy a used one...

Warranty period is just that...if it's still in Warranty they should cover the whole cost...after all, I doubt they would agree to paying a bit towards it if it was only a few days beyond the warranty....

...sorry just read the post again....I see it's just out of warranty....worth a try then!

Last edited:
That's a bloody good job aint it! Lol! Batteries aey? So I bet it only cost a couple of quid, better than the cost of that moduel thingy ma bob!