Ive bought a DA and products but just cant make an impact

ashtons99

Gold Member
Ive been on detailing world and the general view on there is that renault paint and particularly ultra red is as hard as a goats knee.

I have hit it with the DA and Megs mirrorglaze 83 on a foam pad and really all that does is give me a hand finish type polish but more quickly, it has done little to remove the washing scratches in the clearcoat.

I dont know whether i expected more but having spent over £100 on the DA, 2 pads and 2 lots of megs product im a bit disolusioned.

Can anyone offer any advice

I don't know what peoples fascination is with DA's. For scratches you really need a rotary mate. A DA just won't have the power. They are perfect for polishing, as by the sounds of it you've found out, but not so much use of tackling scratches, scuffs etc.

I have found the same problem on my Ultra Red RS200.... I can improve the finish but the worst swirls are still visible.... I thought I might try a glaze before waxing!

A DA will do the job, it will just take time. You will need something with a lot more bite than Megs Mirror glaze too.

As stated a rotary will do the job quicker but its also a lot easier to leave you paint looking a mess with one if you don't know what doing.

A DA will do the job, it will just take time. You will need something with a lot more bite than Megs Mirror glaze too.

As stated a rotary will do the job quicker but its also a lot easier to leave you paint looking a mess with one if you don't know what doing.

in agreement here

takes time and sometimes you have to go a bit aggressive - i have quite a selection of meguires polishes!

infact mine needs a good machining its looking a bit poor :sleep:

I'm sure it's all about technique and taking your time, I've now got a DA but haven't had time to use it yet, can't wait!!

I have a really good guide that Willis sent me when I bought my DA would you like it emailing over to ya? If so, drop me a PM with ya email address and I will forward you the PDF's

Cheers Andy

As above really, a rotary will do the job better/quicker but does inherit more risk because of it.

You should look at a more aggressive pad/fluid combination than the Megs glaze you have, but when you do always start of gently with the lightest Pad/Fluid combo and work your way up.

I've heard some good things about the Megs Microfibre DA system, but never used it myself.

Also as an amateur you're not going to realistically get the same results as you regularly see the Pros put up on DW or here. That's why they charge so much to do the job, they know what they're doing :smile:

Just bring it to me and I will sort it out :smile:

There's nothing wrong with DA's, they can do just as good a job as a rotary. I use a Bigfoot most of the time these days as it is much quicker and easier to get instant results from (especially on one stage polishes where you need a good cut and finish in one).

Don't have an issue with my G220 just try different pads and cutting agent.

I use 3M and swissvax clearer fluid pro and get perfect results.

I only bought a flex to reduce the time doing it.

Set your time to do one or two panels at a time rather than the whole car.

The Megs microfibre system works well on ultra red paint (I know as I just spent 5 hours using it doing my UR 200). I'd say that's the way to go.

I used my da for the first time a week ago. I thought it left a good finish with a medium pad & just some fine compound. But the paint on the Mazda is quite soft I think & I got a good finish quite easy. I managed to get a few scratches out too. But it the paint is hard, you may want to try a more coarse compound.

Ive taken a different approach today after spending time reading rather than polishing!

I have been using the megs 83 on the yellow foam pad but put less of it on (only 4 pea sized drops). Ive restricted it to a 60cm square area and increased the speed from 3 to 4.5. Ive also worked the product a lot longer until it just leaves a haze then refreshing it with quick detailer and doing more passes.

I have got rid of a lot more marks in the clearcoat. I do think though that a bit harsher product would fair better although im not sure what polish/pad combo would be the one

you may want to try priming your pad before you start and then work with 4 drops and work the product past what you think you should.

Take a look at Junkmans vids on YouTube/DW, which are in linked thread.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=281047

I've done a A4, Vectra, Clio and mx5 all very easily with a DA, Hex pads and Megs 105/205 and all were badly swirled and I got perfect results on removing swirls, its all sbout products and technique mate, DA is fine.

Last edited: