Itchy Feet

Right I thought I'd post this up on here and get some re-assurance that I'm not going mad...

Recently I've been eyeing up a LOT of other cars, and I don't mean in a "hmm nice car" more of a going on Auto Trader/Piston Heads getting prices, finding good examples of the model and my next stage is looking up insurance quotes (I'm up for renewal next month).

I've noticed I'm not exactly the only one; lately my Facebook news feed consists of Jonesy, MikeLY, and Fernandez eyeing up some VERY tasty metal.

So is this just a normal petrol head thing or is it time for a change to stop me getting fed up?

....Or should I just start on some mods with the Clio? (at the moment it's pretty standard)

Some of the motors I've been looking at just to give you an idea:

Honda S2000
Nissan 350Z
Subaru Impreza WRX/STI (bugeye)

^^ all of which I could get decent models of if I traded in the Clio +/- some cash.

Love s200 but hard enough to find fresher and clean one. Good luck on ur seaech bud, the time
to change comes to us all.

It is true I have been eyeing up other motors but as I have said to the Clio, its only window shopping.... At the moment..

Having said that I really do want an exige so I have been faced with the dilema of keeping or getting rid of the Clio..

I love driving the Clio and would love to go down the same route as Mike LY by forging and supercharging it, for me that would make it the ultimate sleeper hot hatch. 330bhp plus 50bhp shot of NOS and not many cars would touch it, which really appeals to me when sat next to a Porsche at the lights.

When you look at the cost tho the other alternative is to sell the Clio and put the same money towards something else which in my case I would choose a supercharged exige...

In an ideal world I'd have both and I always intended to keep the Clio and turn it into a weekend/track slag.

Last edited:
Nowt wrong with window shopping and considering your options. I'd still love a e46 m3 or avant RS4. Can't see it though cause getting harder to find good examples. There's loads of cars I love but not many I'd get into debt for......

i havent fallen out of love with my clio, im trying my hardest to keep it as a toy and get something I have always wanted.
End of the day, if i cant keep both, then i'm gonna stick with the clio, u can have more fun with it.
Way i look at it is, evo vs clio, what could i have more fun in day to day.

Some of the motors I've been looking at just to give you an idea:

Honda S2000
Nissan 350Z
Subaru Impreza WRX/STI (bugeye)

^^ all of which I could get decent models of if I traded in the Clio +/- some cash.

I considered S2000 and 350Z before the Clio.

I really really wanted an S2000, but I'd built it up in my mind to be ****ing awesome and super quick, and unfortunately it was neither. On top of that, they seem to hold their value well so for £8k I was just about getting into the facelift models, but these were all private sales and generally higher mileage. On top of that insurance is simply insane, it would have been double the cost of the Clio. Plus if the suspension adjustment bolts have seized and the alignment is out, it's £1k for new ones. Engines are not quite as reliable as you might think, a second hand one is £1k. No warranty either.

Get her on track with some decent rubber and then see how she goes against some of those other motors you have looked at....

I can pretty much guarantee you wont wanna change

See that's the thing Mike, I don't do that much track stuff but when I do I'm always massively impressed with the Clio. But I've never taken anything other than the Clio and the odd Meg250/265 out on track (oh and an R32 but that was a dissapointment, damn those things are heavy!)

But its less about that, more about just owning it, and enjoying it. I've had the Clio for three years, it does very little wrong (other than the odd breakdown/fault) but I just can't help but look at these other cars and find them more interesting.

Not sure if its just the grass being greener though...

Keep the Clio and buy whatever you want?

Never regretted keeping the 200 or buying the trophy to go with it.

It's a great getting in either and getting back in both.

I keep looking and have been for ages, I end up thinking about the fact I could buy or own somethin a lot faster than the Clio BUT would likely end up not having the money to enjoy the car, specifically track days!

Keep the Clio and buy whatever you want?

Never regretted keeping the 200 or buying the trophy to go with it.

It's a great getting in either and getting back in both.

I don't think my pockets are anywhere near as deep as your unfortunately (you lucky sod :wink: )

I keep looking and have been for ages, I end up thinking about the fact I could buy or own somethin a lot faster than the Clio BUT would likely end up not having the money to enjoy the car, specifically track days!

Yeah its a good point, I'd have to ditch the Clio to get any of the above, mostly because I don't have the funds but also because I don't have the space for a third vehicle (I have a Fiesta Van for work) which rules out cheap thrills stuff like an MX5

I couldn't justify it now you have to have 50% deposit for 0% but it's a buyers market mate.

I think you would be surprised at how many bargain cars are out there you can afford.

As well as being gutted just how much the Clio is worth.

I couldn't justify it now you have to have 50% deposit for 0% but it's a buyers market mate.

I think you would be surprised at how many bargain cars are out there you can afford.

As well as being gutted just how much the Clio is worth.

Too true mate!

I did the same many a time with my old Cooper S, yet only ended up selling due to having a baby.... Still miss it now and again....

Then bought a 320d M Sport BMW which is a beautiful car to drive - just boring.

Now I have the best of both worlds... I have the Clio and the misses now has the 320... I get to use both...

I'm happy with that :wink:

I was in this situation after 10 months ownership of the 197.

I considered S2000, 350z, 'Prez STi Blobeye (PPP), Focus RS MK1.

Ended up with another RS but this time an R26. Couldn't be happier tbh.

Too true mate!

I got offered 13k for mine in march too.

I doubt I'd get 8 for it now.

Fact is its 40-50k worth of fun IMO so I kept it.

Can't see my getting rid unless it's for the new alpine.

Go test the rest and see just how much it stacks up and they fall short in every department, it better in many ways to the trophy but worse in others.

And from what I tested it wasn't worth trading, hence me having both. The only thing that stacked up was an 18 month old GTR which was epic! But it was 40k......

Its a case of the grass is always greener...........but its REALLY NOT!!!!!!

Ive looked so many times at changing my clio but always ended at the same conclusion. Its near impossible to quicker for less with low running costs, comfortable for long journeys and fun! The clio is a far more capable car then the S2000 or 350Z, ok the subaru might be quicker but the running costs are so rediculous you'll ending up resenting it (my mate did).
Ive looked at caymen s's, sc elises, rs focus's and few others and none are as capable as the clio in an all round way. Im now at the point where the only thing i will change clio for is a caterham r300, atom or 911 gt3.....honestly!

And yes its perfectly normal to window shop on ph, thats what im doing right now :-D

Its a case of the grass is always greener...........but its REALLY NOT!!!!!!

Ive looked so many times at changing my clio but always ended at the same conclusion. Its near impossible to quicker for less with low running costs, comfortable for long journeys and fun! The clio is a far more capable car then the S2000 or 350Z, ok the subaru might be quicker but the running costs are so rediculous you'll ending up resenting it (my mate did).

And yes its perfectly normal to window shop on ph, thats what im doing right now :-D

^^ That about sums it up :smiley:

Similar Thread Suggestions