Is this bad? Bottom engine mount and subframe brace threads

Kalamat88

Platinum Member
Hi all,

I was trying to put my subframe bracket (this thing below) but it seems that one of the threads in the subframe is shot. What part do I need to replace for this? How bad is it to drive with this and the subframe brace/bracket screwed in at only 3 points?

IMG_6502.jpeg

IMG_6753.jpegIMG_6754.jpeg

Also, my lower engine mount (or however you call it). I see this little fissure or crack in the rubber. Time to replace it?

IMG_6755.jpeg

I’m more concerned with that thread in the subframe- what would I need to replace and is it drivable like this?

As always, thanks guys.

the threads for this are in a exchangeable part, dont need the whole subframe #is 8200309428

View attachment 158094
I tried to get one of these from renault and they said they weren’t available anymore so you’d need to try and find a second hand one.

@Kalamat88 have you tried tapping out the hole? it’ll be ok to drive with one missing but worth repairing when you can

Unless the engine is moving a lot i wouldn’t worry too much about the mount but they are fairly cheap/easy to replace if you wanted to.

Reactions: Kalamat88
funMACHINE- You’re a lifesaver man, thanks. I didn’t think to think that this was a separate bracket and that it wasn’t fixed into the subframe. I did some pretty deep searching and I finally I came across this genuine Renault parts website and a match came up. Does this look like this is it?

Last edited:
I haven’t tried tapping it out- what do you mean by this exactly? If what you’re referring to is removing the brackets, I haven’t the slightest idea how to get it out as it’s inside the subframe from what I understand. What’s the best way to access it? Do I remove the entire subframe?

Good to know about the engine mount. It’s solid as far as I can tell, the engine doesn’t move a bit or have wiggle so that’s a good sign.

Thanks Ethan for you help on this- any advice on how to get this bracket out would be much appreciated if you know.

You'd do well repairing the threads when there's a big fuck off crack straight up the centre of the nut.
Needs replacing unfortunately.

Even with the wishbone removed, I've still never managed to actually replace the captive insert

You'd do well repairing the threads when there's a big fuck off crack straight up the centre of the nut.
Needs replacing unfortunately.

Even with the wishbone removed, I've still never managed to actually replace the captive insert
Fair point, I hadn't looked that close :tearsofjoy:

I've replaced one but it was a bare subframe off the car, at a minimum you'd need to remove the wishbone.

Oh yeah? I just checked them out (Rivnuts)- I wouldn’t even know what type to use, size and all of that.

You did the exact same ones for yours? What type did you use?

Anybody know if these are these the same on the Megane 225? I have a similar issue that'll I'll be looking to repair in the coming weeks!

I haven’t had the time to get back under the car but I cannot think of another way to get those inserts in other than just taking the whole subframe out.

Taking the subframe out looks involved. I can do it but with the snails rate at which I go about working on my car, it’ll take months lol

Surely remove the wishbone and then you can get better access no?
RSRowe mentioned that he did that and still couldn't get to the brackets. I’m gonna have to get to it sooner or later so as soon as this bracket in I’m going to go to work.

So a small update here…

The bracket for that subframe is on its way so I got under the car last night and snapped some photos so I have a clear head on how to remove the wishbone/control arm. I want to be as least invasive as possible but from what I think by looking, I should remove the following bolts below:

IMG_6817.jpeg

IMG_6816.jpeg

IMG_6815.jpeg

Am I missing anything else or should I just completely remove the wishbone all together (including this bolt that connects to the tie rod?)

IMG_6814.jpeg

For kicks and curiosity, I got the lighting as best I could and tried to fit my phone in (it’s an IPhone 12 mini haha) to see what I could not otherwise… lo’ and behold…

IMG_6831.jpeg

IMG_6828.jpeg

Is that our cracked bracket? I envisioned it differently but that must be it…

Reactions: Frank Perry