Insurance issue....

Im a little bit pissed off, but also a little bit curious, so im just wondering what peoples views are....

Im 25years old, No insurance claims since i passed my test 8years ago, 4years NCB, clean licence since i passed my test....

So, insurance renewal came through this morning, so i rang up a couple of companies, Greenlight was my first port of call...

"Sorry, we cant quote you as you are unemployed"

I was made redundant a couple of months ago, hence the unemployed, i dont claim any benefits, im not asking for a loan/monthly payments, i have sufficient funds to pay my insurance... all which were pointed out

Sorry, we cant quote you??

WHY?!!?

Furious!

"Statistics" is the only answer I've had from any insurance company.

They all work premiums out based off the square root of a wing and a prayer, divided by ****s and giggles with some base line padding on top just to keep the call center vending machines topped up.

While Greenlight did good for me this year I know they have tight boundaries they work within, last year they wouldn't insure me either and yet will now despite nothing other than time passing me by.

Tell em your a care assistant and nip round your old mans and make him a brew for 50p :wink:

I know it sounds really silly, but have u tried saying your a 'house husband' etc and maybe they will be more likely to give you insurance?

Im a little bit pissed off, but also a little bit curious, so im just wondering what peoples views are....

Im 25years old, No insurance claims since i passed my test 8years ago, 4years NCB, clean licence since i passed my test....

So, insurance renewal came through this morning, so i rang up a couple of companies, Greenlight was my first port of call...

"Sorry, we cant quote you as you are unemployed"

I was made redundant a couple of months ago, hence the unemployed, i dont claim any benefits, im not asking for a loan/monthly payments, i have sufficient funds to pay my insurance... all which were pointed out

Sorry, we cant quote you??

WHY?!!?

Furious!

had the same issue apart from mine went from £350 to like £811...:swear:

did a few internet searches and got it for £380 :coffee:

oh and its garaged and in a very low rated area...

i am also living on my savings and not claiming anything - bit hard really as the jobs front for me seems to be stacked against me :zomg:

life is a bitch :tomato:

I believe its to do with not being able to keep the car maintained based on not having an income (tyres, brakes etc) which could lead to an increased risk of a claim being made.

Say your are a home-husband (or professional xbox gamer sofa surfer)

:tongueout:

had the same issue apart from mine went from £350 to like £811...:swear:

did a few internet searches and got it for £380 :coffee:

oh and its garaged and in a very low rated area...

i am also living on my savings and not claiming anything - bit hard really as the jobs front for me seems to be stacked against me :zomg:

life is a bitch :tomato:

I did wonder how you had so much time to spend on here. :poke:

Guys if you've worked and paid your taxes your are more then entitled to claim in my book. I know it may not feel right but you've earned the right to do it. No point in not doing it, doesn't make you a bad person.

As for insurance Greenlight couldn't get close for me (my highly modified focus ST was cheaper to insure with them than my fairly standard Clio). Ended up going with Admiral who covered all my optional extras (recaros, speedlines etc) for £320 full comp with business class to. Not to bad I thought.

I think it's something to do with your car not being parked up all day and you could be driving around all day because you're not at work. Maybe... it's insurance so they could tell you anything.

When I was out of work I just said I was still in employment, naughty I know but paying £300 more was out of the question when you got no money coming in and you need the car to get to interviews etc.

Everyone seems to put a big black mark over you when you are unemployed, pain in the ass.

I think it's something to do with your car not being parked up all day and you could be driving around all day because you're not at work. Maybe... it's insurance so they could tell you anything.

Exactly that, If you have normal insurance without business use they expect your car to be unused at least 16 hours a day. If you are unemployed that reduces to 8. So in their bizarre logic you're twice as likely to crash.

It is stupid, my insurance is quite high due to profession as I have a lot of time off each year (6 months) but they don't seem to realise my car is pretty much off the road for the other 6!

^^^^^^

Surly you insure the car for upto X milage a year, it makes no odds if you do it in 12 months or 3.

I did wonder how you had so much time to spend on here. :poke:

i know its inbetween trawling internet job sites....:book:

i only put £30 of fuel a week...having said that most weeks its sat in the garage for 3-4 days...moving from drive to garage saved £11 on my old insurance company!

Similar Thread Suggestions