I may have a problem???

I have owned my 197 for around nine months now and its been going fine, but the other day I put £20 of petrol in it and the car absolutely drank it!!! I know they arent economical cars but normally if I stick £20 in my car it can last 4-5 days depending on how much driving I do! Its massively increased its fuel consumption!! If I put the foot down and give it a couple of blasts the fuel gauge needle noticably drops!!

Also noticed that when she gets to 5000rpm the engine note is different than before, its seems to rattle, sound coarse, slightly rough?? Its hard to describe?? But the car sounds different but stills seems to drive fine?? This morning I started it up and had a listen and there seemed to be a rattling noise coming from under the car at the back of the engine, any probs with the exhaust mainfolds or anything on the 197s???

Any help would be much apprecaited, its a 2006 197, (if thats important), also it has had no warning lights in the dash and oil level is fine. Just doesnt seem to be quite right, my brother also noticed the difference in engine noise at high rpm. What could be the problem??

The garage is an expensive place!!! lol!!I.ll get it up on the lift tomorrow and have a look, my dads skylines on it and waitng for parts to arrive so as soon as its off the lift I.ll get mine up for a look!

Increased consumption is usually indicative of lambda sensor failure...

The noise you describe could also point to a knackered dephaser pulley, this also increases fuel consumption.

From what I've read cracked exhaust manifolds aren't unheard of, either.

His skyline is a mere toy compared to the one I just have before the 197!!! ;-) Good advice though!!! I.ll check it to all those things tomorrow!!!

My fiancee's Sportka had the Lambda sensor go and the fuel consumption rocketed. The engine management light came on in the end. They're pretty crap those things, they're located in all areas of heat and I think as a result they tend to break after a while. Usually just after the warrenty expires! My finacee's car was 42 months old when it went, and her car was high millage. Has yours got many miles on?

Lifts are super handy aswell, and our lift has paid for itself several times over with the money we save not having to take our cars to the garage to have work done!!!

Havent got the car on the ramp yet so unable to get a look at it, if it does have a dephaser pulley problem or a fecked lamdba sensor how can i tell?? With the exhaust etc its easy I.ll see any issues from in below, would getting it on diagnostic be the best way to find out whats up? Anyone know how much renault charge for this?? Also has anyone had issues with there door handles messing up the keyless entry?? I've already had to get a new passenger side one and need to get a new drivers side now, thinking that getting the drivers door sorted and getting them to find the route of my new problem when its there would be the best plan of action.

a dignostic check would show up a faulty lambda or an emissions test during an MOT. lambda sensors are very fragile they can break if they get hot and cool down too quickly or is hot and you go over a pot hole. best bet is to just buy 1 and change it ureself and see if fuel consumption improves. i think u can get em for around £50 and they are a piece of cake to change.

another sine of a faulty lambda is a rough idle and choking

The lambda usually comes up on the diagnostics check, the readings come out as zero or something. That's what the guy said about the other halfs car anywho.

"in theory" if the lambda sensor is faulty it should put the management light on - thats the reason it has 2 sensors - one monitors the efficiency of the cat and lambda

can't you put a multimeter over a lambda sensor an if its reading (x) then it's fooked i know i've done it in the past with my mini. just note sure what the figure is volts or ohms

Car went to renault they put it on the diagnostics and traced the problem to a spilt flexi pipe on the manifold. So that explained the noise at high revs and rough sounding idle, and they said it would increase the fuel consumption aswell. So its not so bad, apart from the price for a new manifold! its over £600!! Renault quoted me £1002.57 inc vat fitted. I laughed!! I.ll get the car on the lift next weekend get the manifold off and see if it can be repaired, hopefully it can as defo not wanting to get a new manifold!