How to bed in new pads?

Ryster

Paid Member
Just recently had new Brembo pads all around along with a strip and clean of the brakes. Instant improvement, I was however wondering is there a correct way to bed pads in, or just drive along as normal and they will sort themselves out?

Do 8-10 runs of hard acceleration up to 60 and then stand on the brakes till you get to 5mph but do not stop. Back on hard acceleration, hard on the brakes etc

After cool them off without touching the brake by driving around, they should stink and may even smoke but after you should have a good colour on the disk

in the box with new pads is an information sheet that tells you how to bed in the brakes/pads etc

Do 8-10 runs of hard acceleration up to 60 and then stand on the brakes till you get to 5mph but do not stop. Back on hard acceleration, hard on the brakes etc

After cool them off without touching the brake by driving around, they should stink and may even smoke but after you should have a good colour on the disk
i did it this way and it worked a treat...when they start fading out make sure that u drive about till they cool down..important thing-repeat this 2x just to be sure u have done a good job...
it kills the petrol though:rofl:

I do 3 lots of 3 of heavy braking then drive till cool about 5 miles, I find getting them over hot can damage the pad leaving deposits on the disc. On the AP website I believe is a useful guide on bedding in pads. It also depends on the pads. If they are Brembo boxed and from a retailer, you may kill them altogether. The above usually applies to competition or fast road pads. Road pads especially cheap ones are best braked gently for the first 200 miles, so the cardboard does not disintegrate.

I do 3 lots of 3 of heavy braking then drive till cool about 5 miles, I find getting them over hot can damage the pad leaving deposits on the disc. On the AP website I believe is a useful guide on bedding in pads. It also depends on the pads. If they are Brembo boxed and from a retailer, you may kill them altogether. The above usually applies to competition or fast road pads. Road pads especially cheap ones are best braked gently for the first 200 miles, so the cardboard does not disintegrate.

well put :clap:

JFYI oem brembo pads do not stipulate any running in etc within the instructions.

I fitted new disks and pads at the same time. The instructions for bedding in both were the exact opposite of each other!

when I fit new pads and/or discs I just test drive and give them a bit of stick - a few heavy stops to make sure they are working fine and the balance is ok

if its all new it doesnt take much bedding in its only new pads on old/worn discs that can be an issue really and if the pads come with instructions I give them to the owner...