How much travel should i have on the brake pedal?

as above... i've been busy stripping cleaning replacing pads and putting some new fluid in the brakes today.

They are miles better than before with much more feel - but i can't help feeling they could still have a few bubbles in them as the pedal travels a bit before you really start to feel the brakes.

so how far do peoples pedals travel before you feel that real bite?

with the engine off and pressing the brakes a few times till the pedal goes hard I'd say i've got about 1-2" of movement, which is a slight bit more than the GF's golf - could just be because of the different setup tho?

in the mean time i've wedged a plank of wood on the brake pedal to see if any more bubbles make there way to the master cylinder (not sure if this works the same in cars but has good results on a bike)

....oh and i did the clutch too whilst i was in there - what a nightmare - my hands are shredded - 1 tip get the missus / son or daughter with small hands involved.

Last edited:
pretty sure there should be slightly less travel than that

did you do both bleed nipples on the fronts?

Both bleed nipples? As in 2 per caliper? if so - Doh! Iwas being lazy and didn't even take the front wheel s off

Last edited:
Oops - what would I do with out you guys! Thanks I'll get on it 2 moro .

Having just driven it again bleeding the clutch seem s to have fixed a slight graunch I had when dropping down to 3rd . Hope that helps someone

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions