How do you know?

Makaveli160

Paid Member
Ever since i left my car in gear instead of the handbrake over last winter my gearbox seems like its on its way out.

Now im not necessarily blaming leaving it in gear but thats when i first remember it starting to play up.

I have read numerous gearbox threads on here with them going worng etc.

But i want to know if there are definitive symptoms that your gearbox is f***ed, or could it be things like slave cylinder, master cylinder, clutch?

Mine used to be abit funny going in gears etc when cold, but as soon as it was warmed up no problems and everything was smooth.

But the last year or so it seems to be getting worse and worse.

Its difficult getting into first gear when i set off first thing (can be notchy and feel clunky), when changing gears the gear changes arent smooth anymore in most gears it feels notchy and clunky. Sometimes when changing from 1st to 2nd it almost feels as if something pulls the car back like there is resistance.

The car doesnt feel happy about down changes either anymore (which has been going more than a few months now). coming from 6th to 4th for example sometimes it just wont go in gear the first fews times and i have to take it out and try again, same with 3rd gear aswell. Pulling up to roundabouts and dropping it into first, it doesnt like it when the car is moving and is sometimes smoother when completely stopped then into first, where as it used to be fine.

I have to be very delicate with it until its up to temperature, which used to be alright but now its notchy/ clunky/ slightly grindy when warm sometimes aswell.

Just read soo many posts about these gearboxes is worrying as my car is completely out of warranty and is going to cost an arm and a leg. So would rather get some opinions on other things that might help.

Are you meant to change the gearbox oil, or does the oil last longer than the gearboxes. Has anyone changed the oil and seen an improvement?

Really not having much luck atm, hit a dead animal which looks as if its caused a leak (still getting to the bottom of this), some complete wa**er has hit my car and clearly just driven off (three times my car has been hit without me even being in the car!!, 3times not my fault 2 of them i got money for this time i cant prove who it was) and thirdly the gearbox is really starting to PI55 me off.

Thanks

So once again somebody took the time to move my thread to a place nobody really looks, but not help me out

The place has to be kept tidy mate, otherwise we may as well just have one giant message board where everything gets lost and you still get no help. The people that frequent this section are more likely to be knowledgeable and/or have the same or similar problems.

With regards to the box, I've always been schooled to not drop in to 1st unless your pretty much stopped anyway (not sure if that's just old school though?)

The most common sign is the crunching, generally if your getting this in to any gear (most commonly 3rd/4th) then its a good sign your gearbox is lunching itself. I'd say pretty much everyone has trouble getting a gear sometimes, and I'd put that down mostly the syncro's being **** to begin with.

With regards to the Gearbox oil; lots of people change this, few members claim it makes a real difference though a lot of it could be placebo affect. It's not a particularly costly or difficult job though, hence people doing it for the peace of mind. IIIRC its not in the servicing schedule at all, but in my mind if theres a common fault on the syncros and they are wearing out, all that metal and crap they're shearing off must be going in to the oil. Changing it could help stop it getting worse and worse (shards in the oil, causing damage, which creates more shards etc.).

Sorry I can't fully answer your questions, but I doubt anyone can short of stripping your box and saying if its FUBAR or not.

Appreciate your replys. And understand about putting things in the correct place, just quite irritable atm, so apologise for my little outburst.

I know that leaving in gear wouldnt of caused any damage, just thats the point i can remember i started having problems from.

With regards to the crunching, it doesnt 'crunch' like when u miss a gear and get that horrible sound.

Its a difficult one to explain, just feels theres more resistance when changing gear if that makes sense. Before it would slip in and out of gear really smooth, but nowadays when moving in and out of gear its notchy, as if something is not quite doing what it should, as if metal is getting caught on metal.

I need to get it to a garage asap, if you look through the inspection hole under the car there is a slight leak, now the confusing thing is i have driven the car to work etc and have been checking the oil religiously and it doesnt seem to have moved. Now it could just be soo slight that its not even noticeable.

But its got me worried that smashing into a massive animal could have caused my gearbox to leak oil?

Excuse my noob-ness, i am reasonably mechanically minded but (whilst looking at the front of the car) the gearbox is on the right handside isnt it?

In all honesty it does feel like the gearbox has got worse since the impact. is there anyway of checking the levels on the gearbox oil??

Can't help you on what it feels like with the "crunching" mate as I've not had it myself, it can be a pig to get in to some gears at times, I'm gonna change my oil soon anyway and just keep my fingers crossed.

With regards to the GB oil, AFAIK there isn't a way to check it (nothing so simple as a dip stick), when your changing it the rule seems to be x litres is about what it takes and keep going till she's full.

Someone who knows better will hopefully pop along soon and confirm though :smile:

Thanks.

Think im going to change the gearbox oil firstly, see if that helps and also have a look at the oil see if theres any metal deposits in there.

Any good recommendations on gearbox oil??

People seem to suggest 75-90.

But apparently thats not the correct specification.

Would 75-80 or 75-85 be better, i want whatever is best for the car?

Theres a few threads up about the oil mate, can't remember off top of my head. I think one of the lads put something up in the How To section showing you some decent oils and also a guide on how to do it.

Have a look on the opieoils website and follow the car guide and it'll take you straight to the correct oil.

i moved the thread to the correct area...

as with regards the gearbox!

its not unlike alot of them with the change being at times inconsistant and bad when cold!

i have changed the oil on mine from a very early mileage to a fully synthetic oil and this did/has improved it when cold...

as said if its not "crunching" then the gearbox is fairly in good condition

change the oil - as you do collect it and check for metal particals - there is a magnet in the box that captures the usual wear and tear metal filings etc but if a bearing or gear etc is excessively worn then metal will drain out with the oil

i moved the thread to the correct area...

as with regards the gearbox!

its not unlike alot of them with the change being at times inconsistant and bad when cold!

i have changed the oil on mine from a very early mileage to a fully synthetic oil and this did/has improved it when cold...

as said if its not "crunching" then the gearbox is fairly in good condition

change the oil - as you do collect it and check for metal particals - there is a magnet in the box that captures the usual wear and tear metal filings etc but if a bearing or gear etc is excessively worn then metal will drain out with the oil

I did retract my previous statement, and apologise for my little outburst did i not..

Thanks for the help its appreciated