Hiya, new Scottish member, new car, garage reccomendation

chongwong

Gold Member
Hey everyone,

I'm a (very) former Engineering student, professional parker, and avid climber in Aberdeenshire. I've put down a deposit on a nice looking 197 that i plan to collect on Tuesday, and i'm looking for a garage recommendation in Aberdeen/shire as I've heard that they can be rather highly strung and I'd rather get anything that I can't do myself done by somebody who knows these cars well. I'll probably be a regular 'I need help with something stupid' poster as I have a habit of biting off more than I can chew when it comes to vehicular maintenance.

I look forward to being part of the forum,

Cheers

Craig

Last edited:
Cheers guys! Anybody used Wallace performance in Aberdeen with their 197/200? I'm wondering if they can do press fitting for the lower ball joints or if they only do the whole hub carrier assembly. The car i'm looking at has an advisory on it's MOT fail sheet for 'offside front lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)'. They are fixing all of the MOT fail points but refuse to repair the advisory, I will be trying to use this as a haggling point as it was initially advertised 'pre-deposit' as being in "excellent condition, you won't find another one like it".

Cheers guys! Anybody used Wallace performance in Aberdeen with their 197/200? I'm wondering if they can do press fitting for the lower ball joints or if they only do the whole hub carrier assembly. The car i'm looking at has an advisory on it's MOT fail sheet for 'offside front lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)'. They are fixing all of the MOT fail points but refuse to repair the advisory, I will be trying to use this as a haggling point as it was initially advertised 'pre-deposit' as being in "excellent condition, you won't find another one like it".

They shouldnt really be pressed out as the alloy housing can break.

oh, piss :'( at least it puts me in a strong haggling position knowing there is a rather huge bill looming. That being said, if we can't agree on the price, it's not as it was originally described, so i'd be getting my deposit back and looking for another 197. Unfortunately they are few and far between in Scotland atm.

oh, piss :'( at least it puts me in a strong haggling position knowing there is a rather huge bill looming. That being said, if we can't agree on the price, it's not as it was originally described, so i'd be getting my deposit back and looking for another 197. Unfortunately they are few and far between in Scotland atm.

I know that some people press it out but from what ive read liquid nitrogen should be used.

The hubs are a known fault with the cars so should be sorted before you get the car if its an advisory...

I know that some people press it out but from what ive read liquid nitrogen should be used.

The hubs are a known fault with the cars so should be sorted before you get the car if its an advisory...
The trader (a small garage in Glasgow with no particular affinity for Renaults) seems convinced that it is just a bushing causing the play, and as such refuses to replace it. If it's not <£3600 after haggling i'm going to walk away. How quickly do you get access to the classifieds on here after playing the membership?

Not long, its automatic.

If the advisory is play in the balljoint, thats what it is, dont let them con you..

Last edited:
I won't, cheers. it's up at £3950 which is about 'on par' for excellent condition at high mileage according to whatcar and various other valuation sites, so does £3500 sound about right with a hub needing replaced?

Also does anybody know the car SP07NBB, it's a silver Clio 197 just occured to me to ask if it's a known car to the forum. Cheers

Wallace performance have a good rep from what I read about them online when I was researching getting my car mapped.
Tbh from what you've said about the place selling the clio you're looking at, they've tried to pull a fast one with the ball joint so I'd be asking myself what else are they trying to avoid? I know it's tempting to rush into buying but I'd keep an eye out a bit longer, maybe have a look on here. Failing that get the price down as you said. New hub is 170 but it's the labour that's more as it's a pig of a job.

Wallace performance have a good rep from what I read about them online when I was researching getting my car mapped.
Tbh from what you've said about the place selling the clio you're looking at, they've tried to pull a fast one with the ball joint so I'd be asking myself what else are they trying to avoid? I know it's tempting to rush into buying but I'd keep an eye out a bit longer, maybe have a look on here. Failing that get the price down as you said. New hub is 170 but it's the labour that's more as it's a pig of a job.
I figured as much, I've gone and printed out part prices from k-tec and RS catalogues, along with copies of all emails sent and received, taking my trolley-jack as well so i can have a really good look underneath, also have downloaded the workshop manual and printed off the relevant pages, and will be contacting the garage that has done the MOT if need be for anything that may not be noteworthy for an MOT but still good to know.
I'm going to give the car a chance but really don't trust the outfit i'm buying it from.

Any other particular things to look out for other than gearbox issues, suspension/hub assembly issues, terrible cone filters, aftermarket exhausts, and generally buggery?

Manifold flexis can go, you can just about see them if you look down the back of the bay, look out for carbon but you can best listen for it. Only itg maxogen or ktec cone filters don't loose you power, anything else will be sapping HP.

Afternarket exhausts are quite popular with these cars so don't be surprised if it has one fitted...

Cheers, i'm assuming Huge diameter pipes will cause a sap, so anything reasonably should (but won't necessarily) be fine?
Side Note: Also taking my trusty code reader, scanning before, during and after driving.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dancliovalver New Members 23
S New Members 9
S New Members 20
M New Members 12
T New Members 24