High miles RS 200 - 20th anniversary

What considerations should I have about this car?
The history:
  • what parts have been replaced over the years
  • when the cam belt was last done
  • when the gearbox was last rebuilt
The mileage would not put me off at all, so long as the car had been treated with the right parts and serviced according to the schedule.
The sad thing is you could easily buy one in the UK with that mileage starting at 4000 euros.

I got mine in Barcelona for 7k and it had 245.000km. All service done in the same Renault dealer.

All balljoints were shot. Intermediate box was cracked. Compression on 1 cylinder is slightly lower than the rest (I suspect of valve seats).
I've had 3 different thermostats in 2 years, and 1 battery. Cambelt job was expensive because damper pulley was shot.

I loaded a rstuner map on it and fitted an Akrapovic evolution, I track the car often and is driven hard on the road. Uses 1l of oil every 1500km on the road, or 1l of oil every trackday.

I'm super happy with the car, pulls strong and I don't intend to sell it. It's cost me 7k over the past 2 years, but I did also several retrofits like the rsmonitor and oem Bluetooth phone control.

I think my car, considering the mileage, has been very reliable so far. And the expenses I had can happen also on lower mileage cars. If I were looking to buy again, I'd buy again on condition and service history, rather than mileage.