HID help

Are these bulbs for the low or high beam? Genuine projector headlights use h1 for the low and h7 for the high beam, you should only put HIDs in the projector lens and leave the other as a halogen bulb, that picture above is a h7 bulb (can tell by the tab at the left hand side) and as it's plastic I'd be unhappy with using them but that's just my opinion I have no issues with the quality of HIDS4u products just personal preference, if you look on back of the headlight around the rubber cover that allows you access to the bulb it should tell you which bulb goes in that opening, looking from the back on mine it's on the bottom left hand edge.

Can you take a pic of the rear of the headlight will all the covers removed please may be able to definatively get the correct bulb for you :smile:

It's for the low beam (the one that you normally use when driving at night) and therefore for the projectors.

It needs a H1 bulb and that thing I linked was H1 too im sure, just want some confirmation haha. I'll run outside and grab some pictures of the rear of the light.

Looking those pics I don't think you have the retaining clio in the correct place to two wires that run parralel to each other should be a lot closer together, But it's definitely a h1 bulb that is needed

Okay so now I'm not so sure on this at all, I used to have projectors fitted to my 200 and they looked nothing like yours, I'm beginning to wonder if you have actual xenon headlamps and not just the halogen projectors with HID's in them if you remove the bulb is there a metal cut off shield inside the projector ie4e8a4ahe.jpg

The shield inside a halogen projector looks like this
mytemyju.jpg notice the angled bit

If you have the first picture then you require a d2s bulb

Not at a PC just now so can't edit the picture

Hi Deaks,

You retro fitted these head lights correct? If so you would need the projector non xenon and then put the h1 xenon's in after. It looks like you have the original Xenon ones meaning that they take d2s bulbs if I remember correctly. Therefore I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you have the wrong head lights. I took mine off yday and mine didnt have one big cover like yours making me presume you have the xenon factory ones. You cant plug in d2s bulbs as your car is not set up for the voltage. The only thing I can think that may help you is a d2s HID kit but I dont think they make them as d2s fittings I think are only Xenon anyway. Someone else confirm?

These headlights are for factory fitted xenons I'm afraid mate and not for retrofitting...

in what sense do you mean [MENTION=26798]Craig211[/MENTION] [MENTION=2045]Yiannis197[/MENTION] [MENTION=33565]colwill197[/MENTION]

So these came off a member with a LY R27, I have no idea if he actually ran them. As I mentioned they had the hid kit as shown when I brought them. When I had them a month ago I fitted them straight away and they were fine apart from the spotlight problem I had with the passenger. Obviously with further investigation this weekend it turns out those hids didn't quite fit.

Yet obviously all the wires match because I am able to power them up (as I ran them for over a month).

So where does this leave me now? Do I need to remove the hid kit? Do I need to change the hid kit for something else?

Or am I just screwed and can't use them. Please don't be the last one :thumbsup:

All you need to do is purchase some d2s bulbs (I'd recommend 5000k) these are more expensive than the retrofit kits btw and a couple of d2s adapter from eBay there about 3-4 quid each and just convert the plug on the rear of a d2s bulb into the two wires used to connect to the existing bulbs you have.
You will only require the ballast from the kit you have and with the two items I have mentioned you should be good to go :smile:

Couple of examples of what you need

http://bit.ly/1jofkNs d2s adapter

http://bit.ly/1jog3y9 d2s bulb 5000k 55w

Last edited:
Sweet, thank you very much @Craig211 - this is why I love this forum! I'd be so lost otherwise haha

I've just returned to uni this weekend but i'll get all the stuff on order and get round to fitting it next month. Cheers for you all your help though, providing this is the final step :wink:

Hi Deaks.

I might be mistaken here but I was/am under the impression that the projector headlights that are for factory xenons can not be retrofitted because the loom on your car can not operate the D2S fitment bulbs? (different voltage etc). And that these headlights have the auto level motors which is an entirely different wiring as well with sensors at the back.

My Valeo (original) projector headlights are different to yours at the back and the fitment is H1 for the projectors and H7 for the mains. Installing an HID kit is literally plug and play as you don't have to cut and paste with the wiring.

This R27 had definitely xenons from the factory.

Now someone more knowledgeable than me in car electrics might know a way to work around this?

The ballast controls the voltage required for the xenons so as long as a steady 12v supply can be sent to the headlight it will be fine and the fact he has been running them already kinda proves that they can be retro fitted it's just that the wrong bulbs have been fitted, as for the levelling motors I do not think that the motors themselves are different only the control gear is, a motor is a motor it can only do one thing,

looking at at the pics it's looks as tho someone has previously cut the wires that powered the oem ballast and connected the spade terminal connections to them thus removing the need for an expensive OEM ballast and meaning it can be fitted onto a car that does not have xenons as standard. Happy to be proved wrong here but Yiannis197 is right halogen projectors are easier although genuine projectors will give the correct beam pattern, the only part of retrofit that may not work is the shield that moves, but I'm pretty sure it could be easily wired in to the high beam circuit. @Deaks I'm happy to help when it comes to the point of fitting the correct bulbs and wiring, possibly tidying up the wiring inside may be an option :smile:
Btw I'm an electrical technician to trade and usually able to fix auto electrics with the right information (apart from that Canbus magic! That was developed by satan himself)

Last edited:
Cheers for the help lads, as I say I'll report back in about a month when I'm back home from Uni.

Wish I brought the correct projectors now, didn't realise there were different types! Pays to do your homework :thumbsup:

Right, Update!

I brought the adapter and those D2S bulbs. And we are now all systems go. Everything is level and as it should be. Bingo! Cheers [MENTION=26798]Craig211[/MENTION] - Top man!