197: Help

After cleaning the car it now won't start.
I can hear the car turning over, or trying to (click) and I have power inside but if the fans are on the lights fade and go bright then fade (consistently)
After a few try's the dashboard then says ASR/ESP DEACTIVATED.

Am I dealing with a dying battery?
Battery is as old as the car (6 years)

I'm currently awaiting the AA but this is the first time the car has ever let me down :worried:

if it spins over normally it aint the battery but if its slow or just goes "click click click" then its mostly a slightly discharged battery!

It goes click click click click
No one around to aid a jump start.

How do you jump a car with push button start?
May seem a stupid question but I've always had key ignitions.

I would assume the same way. press it once to turn the electrics on, roll, pop the clutch.

Okie dokie I'll keep that in mind for next time.

As suspected I'd killed the battery. New one fitted and its all back and better then before (starts quicker) hadn't even realised starting it had been slowing down.

Had a similar issue with the bike this morning. Took all the locks, chains, covers etc off, got all the gear on, rolled it out to the road, jumped on, side stand up, clutch in, pushed the starter and click, click, click. I'd be lying if I said I didn't swear at it a few times.

All it needed was a quick connection to a booster pack but I still had to walk the 5 mins to my mate's garage in full leathers and a lid as I refused to take it off. At least he got his apprentice to carry the booster pack to the bike and back!

Think I may follow your example a buy as new battery just in case. Glad you gott it sorted though.

Was indeed battery. I think once a battery has given up once, charging it is just prolonging the inevitable. It's come to the end of its usability.
At least I don't have to worry about the battery cramping out on me in France in a fortnight.
I am glad it chose now to do it rather then then.

Thanks everyone :smiley: