Help removing upper ball joint

Bro

Paid Member
Hello everyone

I've been attempting to do my passenger side ball joints on my 197 but I've been struggling to removing the upper ball joint

Has anyone got any advice on pressing the old one out?

The aluminium casting is such an odd shape I can't get any attachments to sit properly on it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have you removed the circlip? Some heat will help just be gentle as it's ally and if you crack the hub it's game over! :dizzy:

Have you removed the circlip? Some heat will help just be gentle as it's ally and if you crack the hub it's game over! :dizzy:
I've removed the clip but the press keeps slipping off as theres hardly any room for the attachments of the press to sit on

I've never done an upper one, but I know when I did the lower ones I had to fab up some spacers etc. I'd imagine for the top ones you'd want a piece of tube with a half moon cut out at the top, something like this...

909.1-half-moon-icon-iconbunny.jpg

p.s. Have you thought about spinning it upside down, put a spacer underneath the ball joint and drive the hub down? Just be careful where you press...

Last edited:
I've never done an upper one, but I know when I did the lower ones I had to fab up some spacers etc. I'd imagine for the top ones you'd want a piece of tube with a half moon cut out at the top, something like this...

909.1-half-moon-icon-iconbunny.jpg

p.s. Have you thought about spinning it upside down, put a spacer underneath the ball joint and drive the hub down? Just be careful where you press...
I have this attachment that I've cut a couple grooves out of but the lip around the edge is so small and sloped it just slips off

Didn't really think about pressing the hub instead of the ball joint so I might give it a go. But as you said just need to be careful where I press it
0ef2db194b3425f2a3ceb514452d540b.jpg
ce2d535bd4e9807e56ccd3f0ef2a1fd8.jpg

You need heat to help I used a piece of Miltek mid-section pipe cut at a small angle to compensate and get the top of the hub level in the press and the pipe was what the assembly stood on so you pressing the ball joint against the tube. The exhaust pipe is 2.5 inch but I think its external dia and the wall is so thin it is just big enough for the collar of the ball joint to pass through so can’t slip

Thank you all for your help

I managed to get one of the pipe attachments and use a lathe to make it thinner and modify it a little bit (and also smack it out a bit with a hammer)

Christmas is saved [emoji23]