Help OBD 2 for megane

I got an OBD 2 Bluetooth reader. When I plug it in the car seems to give readings only when it feels like it. I am struggling to get it to read its findings. I bought a second one thinking maybe it was a faulty unit but still the same. I bough a third one a completely different unit and still the same story. The problem is it only gives a red light as if its not connected, when it works it usually flashes with lots of different colour lights.

What do I do? Place in the unit and start the car. Usually does the trick. I have also tried to hold in the start button until it clicks and lights up the dash board.

The main thing here is that it seems to work on random days like a Tuesday, when its snowing and a rainbow at the same time, so I cant say it doesnt work but seems to just work when it wants to or maybe I am not doing it right.

Any ideas?

unlock car
get in dont touch pedals & make sure in neutral
put card in slot/reader
press start until ignition/steer lock clicks off - should have all ignition warning light on dash and power now going to obd2 reader to get codes

unlock car
get in dont touch pedals & make sure in neutral
put card in slot/reader
press start until ignition/steer lock clicks off - should have all ignition warning light on dash and power now going to obd2 reader to get codes

Thanks, next time can you hold my hand when crossing the street?