Heavy clutch

How would I know if the clutch pedal is 'heavy'? As theres no comparable value? Had my car about 6 weeks now, 57 plate on 34k andIS a heavy clutch - but also I have juddering when pulling off and reverse, even a slight judder between gear changes - me being a poor driver and getting used to the car still or potential problems?

the 197 clutches are light and smooth in operation and shouldnt judder...

well mine is anyway and its original clutch

Damn. I'm assuming a new clutch is needed then.

not always....they can judder for years or until they fail - sometimes its just poor lining material or a bit of lining pick up on the flywheel/pressure plate or on the odd occasion a bit of oil from a weeping seal

you could try just giving it a bit of slip to clean the faces up and see how it is

looking around £650/700 all in once you've accounted for parts and fluids. Not a cheap job unfortunately

Ouch! Labour costs included? Looks like it could be a cambelt service and clutch next year - four figure bill here I come!

not always....they can judder for years or until they fail - sometimes its just poor lining material or a bit of lining pick up on the flywheel/pressure plate or on the odd occasion a bit of oil from a weeping seal

you could try just giving it a bit of slip to clean the faces up and see how it is

Hmmm - how would I go about 'cleaning' the faces up? Took it out earlier and it's not too bad, I think I let the revs drop a little too low when pulling off - I hope that's the case anyway!

Hmmm - how would I go about 'cleaning' the faces up? Took it out earlier and it's not too bad, I think I let the revs drop a little too low when pulling off - I hope that's the case anyway!

i just usually put the handbrake on hard - in to first - a few thousand revs and then let the clutch up until starts to bite and let it slip for a few seconds - repeat and then see what its like driving wise

**disclaimer - there is no guarantee that this will cure it....it could even cause problems...depending on clutch condition

i just usually put the handbrake on hard - in to first - a few thousand revs and then let the clutch up until starts to bite and let it slip for a few seconds - repeat and then see what its like driving wise

Cheers for that - i'll give it a go! I wasn't expecting these issues at such a low mileage it has to be said. After owning a 172 cup with no issues, it dampens my RS experience somewhat but hey ho!

well its either hydraulic which dont normally go heavy they just dont work (pedal goes soft or no pedal at all)

or its mechanical - possible pressure plate or release bearing problems or just a generally worn clutch assembly

has the brake fluid level dropped alot? this feeds the clutch hydraulic system and the release bearing have been known to fail....

were is the brake fluid bottle in the engine bay