Headlight alignment with aftermarket HID kit

I had my aftermarket HID kit aligned to what I thought was the correct level, could see that the lights weren't shining any higher than the numberplate of oncoming cars on a level road.

But, during the MOT Renault realigned them so the cut off now lies about 5 meters in from of the bumper, seriously dangerous and am completely blinded by oncoming cars!

Anyone else had anything similar with an aftermarket HID kit in genuine OEM projector headlights?

No, my headlights now point down into the road, I can hardly see where I'm doing at night! It's clearly wrong to me but just wondering why Renault have needed to point them right down into the road to get it through the MOT? Nobody ever flashed me with the way I had them aligned before.

No, my headlights now point down into the road, I can hardly see where I'm doing at night! It's clearly wrong to me but just wondering why Renault have needed to point them right down into the road to get it through the MOT? Nobody ever flashed me with the way I had them aligned before.

has the headlight level switch been moved to set them at thier lowest setting?

could also be due to the beam pattern that needs setting on the headlight alignment gauge on the test - you need the hot spot and cut off correctly aligned - this is the issue with "after market" hid kits....

has the headlight level switch been moved to set them at thier lowest setting?

could also be due to the beam pattern that needs setting on the headlight alignment gauge on the test - you need the hot spot and cut off correctly aligned - this is the issue with "after market" hid kits....

Switch is at the 0 setting so they've definitely turned the adjusters on the headlights.

When you say they check the hot spot and cut off which bit of the flick are they looking at? I get a sharp \_ shape but the flick extends quite high, is there any limit on how high the flick can shine? This is the only reason I can think they'd have lowered it so much. No exaggeration, the hot spot is hitting the road about 4 to 5 meters in front of the front bumper.

EDIT: Having done a bit of research the horizontal cut off needs to be a set distance below the centre of the bulb (Most places say 2" under at distance of 25 feet), centre of hot spot directly in front of the bulb and there is no measurement relating to angle/length etc of the flick. This is exactly what I did when setting the alignment in the first place, seem to remember using 2.3 degrees to work out distance under the centre of the bulb. I cant believe renault can get this so wrong when they have the correct equipment

Last edited:
Switch is at the 0 setting so they've definitely turned the adjusters on the headlights.

When you say they check the hot spot and cut off which bit of the flick are they looking at? I get a sharp \_ shape but the flick extends quite high, is there any limit on how high the flick can shine? This is the only reason I can think they'd have lowered it so much. No exaggeration, the hot spot is hitting the road about 4 to 5 meters in front of the front bumper.

EDIT: Having done a bit of research the horizontal cut off needs to be a set distance below the centre of the bulb (Most places say 2" under at distance of 25 feet), centre of hot spot directly in front of the bulb and there is no measurement relating to angle/length etc of the flick. This is exactly what I did when setting the alignment in the first place, seem to remember using 2.3 degrees to work out distance under the centre of the bulb. I cant believe renault can get this so wrong when they have the correct equipment

the issue will be the position of the car in relation to the beam setter i would think!

just re-adjust them back up