Having a sub in the clio?

Got an Albi 200 and although I think the sound system is fairly good I'm looking to fit a sub in the car just as a tester to see if I like it, not going for anything mental just an experiment really.

Has anyone tried and how hard is it to wire up etc?

And can you run it from the original head unit in the Clio?

Any help would be great guys,

thanks

Brad

Brad,

I had a sub and amp in my clio 200, it's fairly easy to wire up. For the live I had to take it into the car through the foam next to the coolant pipe which was a bit fiddly. Yes you can run it off the standard headunit if your amp has a high level input as well as RCA (just take a feed off the rear speakers) the grills pop straight off and the speakers come out with a couple of Torx screws. Scotch locks are a decent way to get a feed from these.

Sounds like a nightmare lol what sub did you have e.g wattage etc? Been looking at 1200W but don't really know where to go with it all!

Cheers for the advise mate!

Take it from me it's not all about the power rating :wink:...I had a 12" 400RMS Rainbow Hammer off and Alpine amp and it was louder than my mates 2x 1200 Sonys easy :smiley:...It's all about the brand, some (but not all) of the better brands:

Rockford Fosgate
Rainbow
Hertz
Phoenix Gold
MB Quart

Where abouts are you from?

Essex mate, Chelmsford area. I'm gonna take the Clio up to Halfords later and get someone to look at how they can fit it then go from there.

I have 2 X 12" JL Audi 1200W subs in mine, Vibe rear speakers and a Kenwood BTL or something cant remember the code lol* Headunit
If you a bass head (like me), then its nice. :wink:

Oh, and scotchlocks are the tool of a pikey. Dont bother with them, do it once and do it right :thumbsup:

Think I'm gonna go down the route of 12" sub, built in amp so I ain't got to arse about with that and then get someone else to fit it and wire it up for me lol bit more expensive but a lot less hassle. I'm just worried about running it from the standard head unit

Think I'm gonna go down the route of 12" sub, built in amp so I ain't got to arse about with that and then get someone else to fit it and wire it up for me lol bit more expensive but a lot less hassle. I'm just worried about running it from the standard head unit

Ill fit it for you Brad, I live near you

I wired my sub up with the standard headunit. No one would ever know i had a system tucked away in there.
I have a 1200w Vibe Flick, but forget the max rating, it's all about the RMS. The amp i have used is actually the cheapest and first amp out of all the ones i have owned- a toxic 500w 2 channel thing. Kicks out the best bass, better than the Hifonics and vibe one i have had.
I have got some small 5'' Pioneer speakers in the rear cards and kept the standard fronts.
I also threw in an ipod connector, which fools the HU into thinking the multi-cd changer is there.
All works perfectly! :smile:

I would have thought a 12" sub would be a bit big for a little clio. What music do you like? I had a box custom made once with a 12" sub in a band-pass design - I was into jungle back then, so it was all about getting low... and boy did it.

With a large sub like that, depending on how its housed it might be a bit 'slow' for punchy dance music. A couple of 8's or maybe a 10 might do the job better all around.

The guy who designed my box (Absolute Musical Gems - Erskine) did sound offs and managed to get some mind blowing bass from 6-8" subs by using clever box designs.

...anyway, size doesn't always matter! :smiley:

Rich