Has anyone had a replacement windscreen

ashtons99

Gold Member
I am looking at buying a 200 which is lovely but has a deep scratch in the screen.

Can anyone comment on any issues with having the screen replaced, is it a simple job. If I get the car looking at the potential problems I would be mindful of perhaps removing the wipers and trim myself to avoid the screen fitter causing damage.

Any comments?

I had mine replaced after a stone caused it to develop a huge crack. No problem at all. £75 through insurer ( I think all policies are covered for windscreens) from nationwide glass or national windscreen or whatever their called. came next day and was done in an hour or so.

Little tip, make sure you have a hoover. I don't know why you wouldn't own one but worth saying as tiny glass particles get everywhere.

I had mine replaced after a stone caused it to develop a huge crack. No problem at all. £75 through insurer ( I think all policies are covered for windscreens) from nationwide glass or national windscreen or whatever their called. came next day and was done in an hour or so.

Little tip, make sure you have a hoover. I don't know why you wouldn't own one but worth saying as tiny glass particles get everywhere.

!!!!!!!!!do they break it to get it out??

No, they use a cool contraption that runs a wire around the whole windscreen to break through the sealant and then they use two big sucker pads to lift it out. I had a windscreen changed on a previous car and there was no glass left in the car.

No, they use a cool contraption that runs a wire around the whole windscreen to break through the sealant and then they use two big sucker pads to lift it out. I had a windscreen changed on a previous car and there was no glass left in the car.

which screen company did you use please?

had all mine done by autoglass, in the same manner as mentioned above with the jumbo cheese wire, on my first car as i was with direct line at the time, it was only a £50 excess to pay, the last one i had done i was with AF, i think that was an £80 excess, i must admit i dont know what my current excess is (with aviva) but i dont need it doing yet so...

never took much longer than an hour for the guy to change the screen over, no problems to note with the removal or refitting

Worth knowing, if you have it replaced try and have them do it at your house and then dont move the car for a few hours (like overnight) this will give it time to bond.
People take there chance and drive them after an hour or so then wonder why they have wet carpets next time it rains.

Also just watch the plum fitting it doesn't cut through the auto lights/wiper feed.

Make sure they use a genuine top trim. I had one that shrank nearly an inch over time so it wasnt under the a pillar trims. Got a genuine one in now but a pita!

They probably will be genuine parts from autoglass etc.

Renault don't make windscreens remember, they will be made by a glass manufacturer like pilkington or similar.

Auto glass won't use genuine parts it would cost too much for them. I know Result don't make screens but how bad dose it look when all the windows are genuine and the front screen just has Guardian glass in the corner !

Hmm I'm unsure now then, in a nutshell it's quite a simple job which easily screwed up. Ideally the car needs to not move for 12 hours? There is the auto lights/wiper function to consider and you're not going to get a Renault badged screen

Some things to consider

Just like to add to this topic,auto glass just fitted me a new screen today ( insurance job) cost me £65 excess,the screen is identical to the original,no issues with the rain sensors etc,1 hour to fit.....1 to 2 hours before I can drive it.

I'm a windscreen fitter. If you get Autoglass out and they bring an FY branded glass tell them to come back with something else. Cheap Chinese crap, like to break for no reason, tend to be distorted and the mirrors like to fall off.

You can drive it after an hour as well and it will be perfectly safe, the hour drive away time is in case of accidents, it wont cause it to leak.