H&R Springs Vs Cup Suspension ?

I want to get H&R Springs, but kind of feel like I've paid extra for the cup suspention and will be getting rid for a lower ride. Are the H&R springs better than the cup suspention for the feel of the drive as well as looking lower?

Basically, am I being a muppet? :huh:

Cup suspension or Coilover suspension IMO. There is no inbetween!

But then having bought coilovers i would say that!

H&R's will ride worse than cupped suspension, they are also linear in compression, not progressive, so they tendy be crashy

With the cup suspension you get the uprated springs and dampers so even when changing the springs you keep the uprated shocks.

Hmmm. Mixed opinions. I havent used it on track yet. But plan to take it out a few times in the future. I just want it lower. But dont want to lose out on how it rides with the cup suspention! :/ maybe ill just save up for coilovers? And wait . . . ?

I'd assume it will be quite a bit harder on the H&Rs, going to be a bit stiff for road use

I won't touch H&R springs because (as Gaz pointed out) they are linear. Eibach's don't go as low, but are progressive, which (imo) is superior for road use.

That's what he's asking about in the 1st place fella.

Yer my bad, im too tired to even take in his first post :thumbdown:

So eibach springs are better for doing a lowering job rather than H&R springs without compromising the cup chassis and saving a bit of money compared to coil overs?

I did this on my 182 having had coilovers which I hated, went back to cup suspension with lowering springs and it gave me the lowered look I wanted but the springs were a bit too leany (if that's even a word) when under pressure on track but that could of been down to the softness of the spring..

If you just want looks they are a great compromise for a fraction of the cost of coilovers.

Well basically all i want is a lowered look without losing the handling and the quality of the car as it is now. If thats possible?

You will need to get a spring that is a similar rating (if thats the correct term) to the spring used in the cup suspension to try and prevent that.

A debate thats been had on many occasions. Like most debates on forums, money plays a significant part in any debate. Coilovers are great but cost lots of money. If this isn't a problem they are the best of both worlds-ride height and ride. For me, H&R's with the cup shocks works for me. Eibachs look no lower. H&R's are harder but crashy? The conditions of our roads, most sports suspensions would feel crashy.
If its value for money, IMO buy some HR's with your cups and see if you can live with it.
After all, how many people can make informed decisions on most stuff on here....You need deep pockets if you listen to some advice on here....

Last edited:
I've got H&R's on my cup. They were on it when I got it so haven't got a comparison, I don't feel the ride is too bad, plus it has a really good stance (especially with spacers)

Hmm some good points! Gives me something to think about :smile: how much would a set of coilovers, say either H&R's , Eibach's, KW V3's ? Etc. Set me back fitted? Any reccomendations for whats best for the money?