Gromit in tailgate...

I've been looking into removing my GT spoiler for my 200 and fitting a cup spoiler instead, but heard that I would need a new tailgate as well. So I took it to a renault body shop and the bloke said he could more than likely do it without a new tailgate, however it will have to have too gromits on to cover two holes up.

The car is black and I'm having trouble visualizing it lol so can't really make my mind up, I think I will go ahead with it but just wondered what some of you guys think, will the gromits stand out/make it look a bit meh?

Feedback will be much appreciated!

being black think your on a winner there as most grommets are black anyway and they should be small ones i would think

You should be able to fix it without having to replace the tailgate. My boss had a golf umbrella pushed through the door of his car, they managed to fix it somehow. - I think they welded a plate behind it and filled it somehow???

You should be able to fix it without having to replace the tailgate. My boss had a golf umbrella pushed through the door of his car, they managed to fix it somehow. - I think they welded a plate behind it and filled it somehow???

replacing the tailgate is nothing to do with holes, i think its something to do with that you cant fit the gt spoiler after you brought the car. i maybe wrong thou.

It's been talked abou before on the forum about the gt spoiler and how the tailgate is different from a normal Clio tailgate. If it were me I would leave the gt spoiler on, they look great and I really would want holes in the boot, nor all the messing around with the brake light. Plus you still run the risk that they are different.

you can always have holes filled in body work though. They will only be small so you could have it filled but this would require a partial respray :\ which starts to add to the agro!

being black think your on a winner there as most grommets are black anyway and they should be small ones i would think

It's been talked abou before on the forum about the gt spoiler and how the tailgate is different from a normal Clio tailgate. If it were me I would leave the gt spoiler on, they look great and I really would want holes in the boot, nor all the messing around with the brake light. Plus you still run the risk that they are different.

you can always have holes filled in body work though. They will only be small so you could have it filled but this would require a partial respray :\ which starts to add to the agro!

@foxspeed - yer i meant grommets lol ;/ thats what im thinking, they should be small anyway and hardly noticeable.

@Arran - I do like the GT spoiler but I REALLY want the cup spoiler so think im going to have to do it. I think its just the brake light that causes the problems!

@Nick - I doubt i will have them filled, hopefully the grommets will be vague, could even touch them up with some metallic paint?...

you could always see if someones with a black 197/200 with a cup spoiler wants to swap complete tailgates + cash your way ??

you could always see if someones with a black 197/200 with a cup spoiler wants to swap complete tailgates + cash your way ??

Yer thats an option but not sure if there will be anyone responding soon enough. I may have an option to swap tailgates with someone but its in storm grey. Plus i wanna keep my rear window

I would seriously see about swapping tailgates with someone, if I had a black clio I would consider it, and I already have a spoiler! Lol!

I would seriously see about swapping tailgates with someone, if I had a black clio I would consider it, and I already have a spoiler! Lol!

All that hassle for the sake of two grommets? could add about 200 quid to the spray and fit too...

Obviously up to you, but I wouldn't be keen on having the holes in the boot lid. But more of a pain will be IF there is a difference with the tailgate on the GT spoiler one to the normal one. You would have to change the tailgate anyway, but you would have to take the spoiler off first to check. In which case you risk damaging it. You need to consider this more than the grommits I think.

Obviously up to you, but I wouldn't be keen on having the holes in the boot lid. But more of a pain will be IF there is a difference with the tailgate on the GT spoiler one to the normal one. You would have to change the tailgate anyway, but you would have to take the spoiler off first to check. In which case you risk damaging it. You need to consider this more than the grommits I think.

Yer think your right, best not to cut corners too. Hopefully will sort something out with another member. We are looking into swapping tailgates, do you know if this is an average job we could do ourselves.

Thanks for the advice