Gloss or Satin black?

Well i'm having my standard 200 twin 5 spokes repainted this month (not powdercoated after hearing bad things) but can't decide on gloss or satin black?
The gloss would match the mirrors and bumper sections but on the last car gloss always looked dirty so i'm leaning more towards satin

Has anyone got any pics of sating standards wheels on a white 200?

Thinking of getting my 197 raider wheels done black, had them powder coated anthrite last year with no problems..!! What bad things have you heard..??

I'm leaving my cup racer speedlines in to be re-furbed next week and they are going gloss black. As you say it will match the bumpers and mirrors.

Problem is with a true gloss finish is it's VERY difficult to take care of, my experience of it was that it looked great but impossible not to end up with very fine scratches in the surface.

Satin or matt finishes seem a lot easier to care for and you can nearly just not bother cleaning them. My preference :tongueout:

Last car was a Corsa VXR with the 18" gloss black alloys - always looked dirty even when washed (water spots) and the backs were a mare - with satin the dirt shouldn't show up as much :smile:

I've read about problems after powdercoating where after being baked the wheels can become weaker and more prone to cracking, buckling?

I've read about problems after powdercoating where after being baked the wheels can become weaker and more prone to cracking, buckling?

Ultimately spraying will get you a better finish, but it will chip easily and won't stay unmarked for long. Refurbishing companies might call powdercoating 'the devils coating' because it is hard to remove, but it will last a lot longer and is cheaper. The heat used in powdercoating is around 200-220 degrees IIRC so it won't affect the structure of the alloys!

Been quoted £240 inc vat for all 4 wheels painting, powdercoating is around £160
I guess if going gloss black then paint would look better close up, if powdercoating doesn't give problems i supposed satin would be ok

Last car was a Corsa VXR with the 18" gloss black alloys - always looked dirty even when washed (water spots) and the backs were a mare - with satin the dirt shouldn't show up as much :smile:

Complete BS propagated by people who paint wheels or have had them painted. If the wheels cracked already then yes it might make it worse but they don't bake them at temperatures high enough to do anything to a wheel that's in a good condition.

Just make sure that any paint or powercoat isn't covering the surface between the wheel nut and the wheel itself, otherwise they've come lose when you get the brakes hot.

Been quoted £240 inc vat for all 4 wheels painting, powdercoating is around £160
I guess if going gloss black then paint would look better close up, if powdercoating doesn't give problems i supposed satin would be ok

I had some alloys powdercoated in gloss anthracite. Decent finish for £80 (the set).

8338415269_571867b95b_c.png

TWS in leeds did some for me £50 a wheel, just need a cliosport membership though it pays for itself.

I had a quote earlier today for £50/wheel to paint.

CL10 do you know what colour code they used when they painted yours? Did they just do it 'by eye'? ScratchMaster in Nottingham said they'd need the car all day though! Sounds like yours was way quicker.

Martin - there's a place in Rotherham called AP tyres (www.ap-tyres.co.uk) who will refurbish a set for £200.
They strip the paint off your wheels, powdercoat them as an undercoat, repaint them and apply laquer - they do the wheel backs as well so they are as smooth as the fronts.
They have a set of twin spokes in dark anthracite in stock and they look amazing.

I asked how long it takes and was told they can turn them around in a day

I had a quote earlier today for £50/wheel to paint.

CL10 do you know what colour code they used when they painted yours? Did they just do it 'by eye'? ScratchMaster in Nottingham said they'd need the car all day though! Sounds like yours was way quicker.

City powdercoating will need the wheels for a few days. You'll need to supply the wheels off the car, and if you need tyres removing it will cost you an extra £10 per removal/refit/balance for each corner. They don't have facilities to store cars and the reason for being so cheap is the massive turnover. Colours aren't matched, but there is a huge selection so they can get close to what you'd like. Best to phone them really.