Gear box oil

Flip sakes, looks like I'm changing it again then. I had a look at the spec sheet for Tranself TRT and its GL5, but also says its good for brass syncros.

I spoke to Opie this morning, second person that had called about this. Said the same as written in the Polo link.

I think I got to 4 people about the GL4/GL5 thing by yesterday afternoon, it's a very common question now. Okay, if you go and buy the cheapest rubbish you can find on Ebay or in a motor factors, then there is a chance that it will contain the harmful additives. There is also one of the performance oil companies (that we don't deal with) who's oils contain high sulphur levels, that can potentially lead to corrosion of the brass. Their oils are sold as race oils and if used as that, they are good, but that involves changing the oil very often.

Certain GL5 oils aren't great for gearboxes as they are too slippery to slow the synchros enough and you end up with poor gear changes. Ones like that are aimed at use in differentials. The Sintofluid, that we often recommend for Clios, is very good stuff and ideal for gearboxes.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for the replies. Just to add to this topic, I went for elf 75w80 NFJ. The gearbox is definitely better after the oil change, when it was cold I really struggled with gear changes (especially 1st/2nd). After changing the oil there is minimal resistance and the gears seem to engage in a more positive way.

Reactions: JMR