Gear box oil

After reading few posts about the gearbox wear on these cars and people having issues, was thinking putting some fresh oil in seen as done 30k now.

what oil have you guys been using? Standard stuff from Reno or been using a better quality one?

also how many litres are needed to fill box back up.

thanks

For the price of 2ltrs of gear oil I would highly recomend it, my cars done 58k with no recorded oil change and now it's started crunching into 4th, iv changed the oil now but it's too late needs taking out and repairing, it will only take just over an hr to change the oil and much cheaper than gear box repairs

there loads of posts on this and if you look at opie oils there is also recommendations in there as well...

Renault oil is always fine, but Im trying out Ravenol at the moment and is does shift smoother and a bit better than the oem oil.

I changed mine for Fuchs from opie oils and got 2 litres in it! Definetly worth doing.

This. Has helped mine too after draining the old oil at 25k. Wasn't impressed with the colour of the Renault stuff after this mileage. Wouldn't want to leave it in much longer from what I saw.

When should the gear oil be changed according to normal Renault scheduling?

Mines on 19k but is a 59 plate so 4 1/2 yrs old now. It's a bit of a stubborn beast when cold, think I might change to some Fuchs.

It doesn't need to be a yearly thing, as with most manufactures it's not a serviceable item. I do have a friend with a Z4 M Coupe and a gearbox oil change is on the schedule for an Inspection 2 which is their big service (the Inspection 2 service costs on these M cars makes me go weak at the knees although it does include valve clearance checks, diff and gearbox oil changes).

First thing the Renault dealer does when there is a gearbox complaint is to change the gearbox oil. I think the chocolate synchro's are oil sensitive and I think they get a hard time and the oil takes a lot of punishment. So for the price of the Renault oil and the fact that it is the chosen oil by Renault, I personally think that a yearly change will help these soft boxes. It is not a hard job either, machine art do a nice little gearbox filler for about £10, that makes it really easy to fill.

i've just had mine changed to Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4 only yesterday. First impressions are quicker, smoother shifting and a little bit less whiney noise from the box. Have yet to try from complete cold start.

sorry but I don't rate the original Renault gearbox oil....its like cooking oil!!!

used fully synthetic in mine and the gear change was far better

i've just had mine changed to Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4 only yesterday. First impressions are quicker, smoother shifting and a little bit less whiney noise from the box. Have yet to try from complete cold start.

Just did mine 2 days ago with the same oil and its so much smoother into gears. I had a issue with 5th to 3rd on trackdays so I will see Monday if this suits.

Cold starts were very good until this morning when i couldnt get any gears but the last two days i could no problem. PITA