Fuel Surge

R20BTG

Paid Member
Has anyone suffered fuel surge on a standard N/A engine on track? I was experiencing what I think was fuel surge at Croft last Friday. I had about half a tank, maybe less, and the car felt like it was stuttering/missing on long right handers at high speed. There were no symptoms on left handers, and the symptoms went away when I filled the tank. Once I've processed the footage I'll see if I can post a short clip of it happening.

Seems a bit weird, I haven't read about it on standard engines, only on boosted engines where the fuel demand is higher. Could it be that my fuel pump is on its way out? Any way to check?

Cheers

The logic would be yes the pump is on one side and half a tank high speed long right hander could cause the pump to scavenge. With three rights and curbs would also tip the fuel out of the pump well but might be unique to croft.
1664271399344.png

Iain - for what it is worth I didn't notice any fuel issues with my car at Croft. The fuel tank was more or less full when we arrived and was topped up at lunchtime. By the end of the day it claimed to have 20 miles of range left so must have been nearly empty. Both @EthanMenace and I recorded our best laps on the last two sessions of the day when the tank would have been close to empty.

Easiest thing to do would be to take extra fuel to places like Croft. A surge tank seems like overkill for a NA car.

Very useful, thanks @turkie172 - nice to see a picture of the tank for context actually. I can see how all the fuel would slosh left. I'll see if it happens again. From memory I may also have experienced it at Donington through McLeans/Coppice when I first got the car.