Front pads glazed a bit

So, I did Blyton a couple of weeks ago which was awesome.

My font pads seem to squeek a little bit now on partial breaking and when trying to stop quickly from 80ish they don't appear to have as much initial bit as before.
This leads me to think the pads might be glazed. I'm hoping they don't need replacing as I've only done 8000 miles.

Is it possible to slip some sand-paper between the pads and the disc to give them a bit of a rub or am I best just letting time take it's course to un-glaze them.

Also, I can't find a front pad change guide here anywhere...?

Strip them down, give the bad surface a rub up with some sand paper and all will be well.

The pads come out fairly easily as long as you have a decent punch and hammer (as long as the pins come out!) Once the wheel is off it's just a case of knocking the pins out and sliding the pads out.

Give it a go, you can't get it wrong really.

EDIT: The guide is just above this thread, it's a sticky!

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?735-Strip-and-clean-the-front-calipers-and-change-pads

Last edited:
Strip them down, give the bad surface a rub up with some sand paper and all will be well.

Give it a go, you can't get it wrong really.

EDIT: The guide is just above this thread, it's a sticky!

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?735-Strip-and-clean-the-front-calipers-and-change-pads

Cheers mate. I must be blind to not spot that. I bit hesitant to take my pads out as I don't have spare pins incase the old ones bend. Is it not possible to slip some sandpaper in between the caliper and disc?

Your better off taking them out and sand papering them. Also get all the rust of the disc with a wire brush. Don't forget to put copper grease on the back of the pads when putting them back

Cheers mate. I must be blind to not spot that. I bit hesitant to take my pads out as I don't have spare pins incase the old ones bend. Is it not possible to slip some sandpaper in between the caliper and disc?

I doubt you'll get sandpaper in mate, the pads will be touching or almost touching the discs.

I suppose you could unbolt the caliper and do them like that. Bit ott but if your worried about the pins it's the only other way I can think of.

just make sure you push the pistons in first, and pull the pads half way so they are loose and tension is off the pin.

tap the pin in from the back to loosen it and give it a good whack out, don't tippy tap.

just make sure you push the pistons in first, and pull the pads half way so they are loose and tension is off the pin.

tap the pin in from the back to loosen it and give it a good whack out, don't tippy tap.

good advice :wink: