Fix for water on top of engine?

CM200

Paid Member
Hey all hope you had a good Christmas and ready for another year!

was just curious to see if anyone’s found a fix for water pooling on top of the engine as it knackered another two ignition coils for me. Initially I had two blow because my front jets hose cracked during winter previous year. Replaced and all fine until now.

myn seems to gather mostly on the 1st (left most coil) and 4th (right most coil). It could of been poor luck but they barely made it past a year -_-‘. I’ve tried using a cloth to soak the worst up but seems most finds a way down to the spark plug anyway.

I tried a smidge of sealant but the warm up, cool down over time Seems to break any seal. The coils themselves have o-rings but can’t be making a tight enough seal surely?

I’m thinking of perhaps 3D printing some sort of tray to attach to the scuttle tray and redirect any water behind the engine rather than on top. Any other ideas or fixes?

The water I believe is coming from your washer jets (Very common fault)

Buy some new washer jets and around 2m of silicon hose for the washer jet pipe.

Replace both and you won't get water on the engine.

Reactions: CM200
I have used an RTV silicone in the hole around the underside of both washer jets, so far so good

I also have a 3d printer and debated creating some sort of "gutter"

I have used an RTV silicone in the hole around the underside of both washer jets, so far so good

I also have a 3d printer and debated creating some sort of "gutter"

Same here, Silicon sealer under the washer jets fixed the issue

Before you all go overboard fix the pipes and jets and if you don't have the sound proofing put it on it will soak up water and stop condensation under the bonnet also as you drive the car it will dry out but will not drip. Check the scuttle seal is still there and make sure the scuttle drains are clear your better stopping the water than trying to keep it out of the plug holes.
1609800738830.png

Thanks for the replies all!
I’ll get some new hoses and jets see how it goes.
Sound proofing is still intact thankfully XD
Gives me a reason to clean out the washer fluid bottle too!

I currently have the same issue. Not using the car at the moment so just stuck a piece of cardboard over the engine block to prevent any further water ingress.

Need to replace my ignition coils and find a bonnet insulation sheet to install. Anyone know if the 197 will fit?

I currently have the same issue. Not using the car at the moment so just stuck a piece of cardboard over the engine block to prevent any further water ingress.

Need to replace my ignition coils and find a bonnet insulation sheet to install. Anyone know if the 197 will fit?

There is always water in the jet wash hoses hence it will always be wet.
The cheapest and easiest thing is to jump on ebay and buy some cheap silicon hose and some new washer jets.

Any MK3 Clio will be the same from a 1.2 to a 1.5dci, They all run the same bonnet

what @turkie172 said is absolutely right. Without the sound proofing the rubber hoses are exposed to the engine heat and eventually perish and break. If I was you I'd be looking for the missing part of perhaps make my own before changing the hoses. Not that replacement hoses are expensive but I view it as peace of mind.

My car is 14 years old and the hoses are as new.

Happened to me a couple of years ago, destroyed left hand coil. Popped jets out of bonnet, a smidge of clear sealant on bottom face of each. Never been an issue since.

Just wanted to come back and update this.

I’ve replaced all the jets/hoses etc.

YMMV But I also bought some of this...

Now it’s not the prettiest but it should at least help with stopping the washer fluid just pouring straight out if it ever splits again.

Again this is just my cheap ass self not looking for proper insulation but it seems to be doing a good job of holding so far.