Fitting springs is easy!

I was dreading fitting my set of H&R's after reading the 'How To's' on here but I have to tell you it's just as simple as any other car I've done.
I didn't have to remove the hub assembly or drop the sub frame, in fact I didn't even take off the caliper.
Just unbolted the arb link, removed the bolt holding the shock to the hub, removed the bolt that holds the brake line so it wouldn't stretch and just lowered the whole assembly until the shock was free of the hub. Then removed the 3 bolts holding the shock under the bonnet.
Pulled out the whole shock/spring assembly and use spring clamps to loosen the top mount...
Mine is a 200 and I'm doing another forum members 197 at the weekend... is it possible that the 197 shock is longer and wont pull out the hub?

I wrote the guide on here about lowing the subframe, there was NO WAY it was coming out on it's own free will! Mine is a full fat 197.

I've heard some other people say it was quite easy so maybe the cups are a lot easier

I did another forum members 197 non-cup last night using the same method and it worked. You need to compress the spring while it's on the car, that allows you to push the strut up and free of the hub. My car with cup suspension and shorter springs was far, far easier though.
Because of my crappy spring clamps it took 4 1/2 hours from start to finish

Last edited:
Andreas any chance you can right up a guide as I'm going to give this a go soon. Any help will be amazing!

Oh and just out of interest how easy are the rears to do?

Last edited:
Just a case of jacking the car up and disconnecting the shocks at the bottom and dropping the axle or can you just compress them out?

Just a case of jacking the car up and disconnecting the shocks at the bottom and dropping the axle or can you just compress them out?

Just undo the bolts at the bottom of the shocks, rears take literally 10 mins to do both sides

It was actually my car who Andreas did. Awesome guy! Many thanks.

Good compression clamps, and good hydraulic jacks could have cut our time in half easy...

Nonetheless the springs are perfectly fitted, and the car is sitting awesome.