First weeks impressions

a mate of mine has a jap spec DC2 and cant keep up with me on the backroads near where i live. my 200 and his teg are almost identical in a straight line as well, he might edge it a bit, but there isnt much in it at all.

Round a track I would think he and the teg would be the quicker car though.

Get a few miles on the clio and show it some bumpy b roads, then youll forget about everything that bugs you and the car will start to make sence.

Is Chins200 some kind of troll?

I only ask because in his post he claims to have owned a 182 and then seems to think kangarooing from cold is a 200 only problem? And that the exhaust note is quieter on a 200?

Really puzzled why you draw these conclusions!

First time Ive ever been called a Troll.

My old 182 is pictured below, but it was six years ago that I owned it.

d8fd92ed.jpg

Never remember it kangerooing like this car does - this morning it was embarassing. You would of thought that in 2010 they could sort this out. I have had about 10 cars since my 182 and also look after a fleet of 8 cars for my staff. None of them are displaying this attribute. On the exhaust side just dont remember being in a hot hatch that is this quiet.8) I am happy it is so civilised as thats what I wanted.

Real issue is that as mentioned in previous posts, its not the nicest to drive around town - gearbox is superb. Got back into my old Golf R this morning and that highlighted it even more. Maybe I should take off my Caterpillar boots and get a better feel :smile:

As above.
I hated mine when i drove out of the showroom, it felt so slow compared to my 182.
Now with a few 1000 k on it there is a big change, sounds really good 2.5k to 4 k (getting louder by the day) pulls 10 times better now than when i got it.

Only downside i have with mine is poor mpg, best ive had on a long m/way run is low 30's and for normal everyday driving im at 21.2

I'll hope mine does the same.

You think the clio with cup suspension is smooth? :s

My neck and back are killing me becuase of the harsh ride if im honest but I have done 1400 miles in a month... :blink:

Try my fun car and then tell me the Clio isnt anything but smooth. Its also not much different to the Golf R I was running before this.

9f4a34b1-1.jpg

I'm not comparing the exhaust note on this to the clio as there is no comparision :smile:

I'll hope mine does the same.

it will mate, just give it time.
Wait till you have 1000+ miles on it then start taking the rev's right up to 7.5k, you get a green light then a beep telling you to change gear, once you start doing that it will start to feel better.

just had a read at this thread and i am starting to agree with people saying the 200 is not as good as expected, the first drive was good mine done 7k and i feel i could read the paper waiting for it to get right up through the revs. Fair enough the handling is good but that is not everything. Was thinking of a filter/decat and remap....but is it worth it for only a few extra horses? dont think so!

Wasn't sure if I should post this on the RUK forum or here ;/
Now have a few hundred miles under my belt. Picked up my Gordini in White a week ago.

Good

Love the looks, the keyless entry, the cornering lights, go karting feel and comfortable ride ( yes I have the cup pack). Leather interior is nice

Unsure

For a 2 litre in a small package, why is it so gutless at low revs? Not spent as much time kangarooing down the road as in this car - it doesn't seem to like 3000 revs and medium throttle, especially when cold. Dipped beam is poor. Auto windscreen wipers need rehab. The Bluetooth phone works ok but the
controls to operate feel like a ZX81, not an IPAD. Where is the exhaust note ? Don't remember my 182 or 306 GTI6 being this quiet?

The car is proving hard to get good progress around town and the other cars I own through my company that I get to drive feel a shed load easier to drive quickly. generally they have a turbo though.

I own and have owned quite a few NA cars (being in your 40's has some perks :smile:

Maybe I should have spent a long time test driving, but struggling to fall in love.

Below 15k then forget it.

Until 15k you simply cannot judge either a 197 or 200. After 20k it will be easily hitting 60 in 6.5 secs (Evo proved those figures) with a better exhaust note than any 182.

I've had a 172 Sport, a 172 Cup, an F1 197 and a 200 btw so I'm pretty experienced with the old and new Clio's.

If you are kangerooing it's either because the car is being left outside in the cold and needs warming up or you're not using 99 RON fuel or are not used to the clutch (you need to release it quickly when shifting, especially when crawling around town).

Neither my F1 197 or my 200 kangeroo, simply because I put V-Power in both cars, keep them in a garage and know how to get the best out of the clutch.

Last edited:
Car is on Super Unleaded and its not when changing gear, but pootling along in 2nd generally. Car is however kept outside and it had been cold :smile:

I know it has been shot down by some and praised by others but try turning the T/C off on a morning until the car is warmed up. It doesn't completely cure the issue but it does alleviate it slightly, certainly make sit much more manageable. You do need to be either delicate or forceful with the accelerator while the car is cold, any mid-throttle position will cause the kangaroo effect!

If you drive the Clio after your Porsche of course it will feel quiet, smooth riding and gutless at low revs!

I have an Impreza STI and every time I get back in the Clio after a few days of driving the scooby I'm shocked by the lack of torque and the relative lack of traction.

however, after 20 minutes or so the Clio starts to feel potent again because I've adjusted to the different power delivery and I start to enjoy the superior steering, handling, ride, equipment etc etc of the Clio.

In fact, the Clio's so damn good I'm selling the Scooby after just a few months of ownership - it's just not a patch on the Clio for handling and every day feel good factor.