Exhaust mount adjustment.......! - UPDATE back from Renault!!! 14/10/2010 #12

Does anyone know how to adjust this? I think mine is knocking about slightly at low revs when going over road imperfections.

The noise seems to be coming from literally just down the back area of the seats sort of like a half foot back from the handbrake. This is also funny enough exactly where the centre exhaust mount is located as im sure you all know.....

Has anyone else had this problem?

Noise is defo there, nothing abnormal when driving hard when engine is under load and get no other funny noises. Its only when going slow over road bumps i get a small clomp from that area of the car.

Also....i have checked the boot and rear seats about 1,000 times its not that.

Certainly from under the car.

Thanks

the exhaust is held up by 1 u shape bracket about 2feet from rear of car nothing around this area from memory.

the exhaust is held up by 1 u shape bracket about 2feet from rear of car nothing around this area from memory.

Think there is! If you look under the car you see where the centre section hanger is! Works out just down behind the front seats!?

Any ideas how to adjust/tighten?

the mount is bolted in position with either a 15mm or 17mm bolt cant remember which one now....and there is some adjustement in the mount once is loosend

let me know how you get on cause mine knocks

but i put it down to the seats

ive been under the car and checked the mountings/exhaust and found nothing loose etc

the mount is bolted in position with either a 15mm or 17mm bolt cant remember which one now....and there is some adjustement in the mount once is loosend

I see, does this sound like the issue though to you? Genuine question. Its just it really sounds as if its slightly under the car somewhat in some instances.

Drove around down a road with my boot wide open today very slowly and thought for a second that it had gone but then sure enough i get the noise happen again for just a few times.

Also drove around the with bottom pad parts of the rear bench totally removed from the car and also the parcel shelf. Also had the rear seats (back rest part) folded down and it did make a little difference i think. However if its mount related then this wouldnt have made much difference i suppose as i could still hear it although the tone of it had slightly changed!?

Thanks for all help!

Last edited:
let me know how you get on cause mine knocks

but i put it down to the seats

ive been under the car and checked the mountings/exhaust and found nothing loose etc

I have also been under the car and done this and found nothing wrong.

Thing is at normal speeds its totally fine and as soon as i drive like a nanny over a few small bumps in traffic or what not (say 5-10mph) i get few clomps from somewhere behind me.

It LITERALLY cant be the boot. I have took the rubber stops out the boot and placed more rubber washers over it and replaced it thus bulking it out and allowing no movement in the boot when closed and pressing down on it (where as before there was movement) this has NOT solved my problem though, made no difference at all. The boot lock is also greased to ****.

UPDATE

Took the car into renault today and took a technician out with me. Sure enough once gone over a few small road bumps etc and stuff we heard the small echo of a noise from the rear and he acknowledged it wasnt right etc.

Car is now booked in for thursday this week and i hope they do find the problem.

When its sorted out i will let everyone know what it was and any tips about how they fixed it. The lad that came out with me was very good and had his head screwed on. He knew it wasnt right.

So there we go!

My mum had a renault espace years ago that had a rattle somewhere in the dash, she took it to renault and they could never get to the bottom of it!! At one stage they had a man on the roof listening as the car was driven round slowly. In there defense they did try everything to get to the bottom of it!!
Hopefully they can identify the problem with yours easily!!

UPDATE!!!

Car has come back from Renault today and the problem seems to be fixed! They have re-aligned the exhaust in its mountings and so far so good i havent heard the noise at all which is damn useful!

Also whilst it was in there they did an inspection on the car. In the end i had new front disks and pads fitted as my old ones were not in the best condition and they advised me to change them. They also stripped and cleaned the rears for me after doing the same with the fronts. Although i need to go steady on the new disks and pads i have got to say the difference in performance even just touching them lightly is absolutely ridiculous. I literally cannot describe the difference. Its like night and day.

So all in all a top day really and a big thanks to Smiths Renault in Peterborough for a good job!

good stuff mate i might get mine on the ramps and undo and retweek the mounts

and yes i just fitted stripped cleaned new pads and discs and yes the brakes are ridiculous now , keep jabbing the brakes when i dont need too lol