Exhaust heatshields

Flyingfish

Paid Member
I’m replacing the shift cables and handbrake cables as part of an underbody refresh. As the heatshields are a bit scabby I’m thinking of leaving them off as it’ll mainly be a track car anyway. Has anyone done this? I’m thinking it’s wise to get done heat wrap for the cables just wondering what peoples solutions have been

I can’t fully answer your question although those cats get pretty damn hot. I don’t think it’d melt the underbody instantaneously but I wouldn’t want to find out after hard track days.

I did remove this (I believe off my power steering rack) and I’ve had no adverse effects or melting metal. If I knew where it went I’d put it back on.

IMG_6832.jpeg

A theory but perhaps that heat shielding is to keep keep the cabin temperatures comfortable and maybe it wouldn’t melt the underbody of the car? Just wildly speculating…

Removing the shields to then add additional shielding seems counter-productive to me.
The weight saving would be negligible.

Personally, I would leave them on. They're there for a reason, no just for the cables, but also the shielding to the side of the fuel tank to consider also.

I can’t fully answer your question although those cats get pretty damn hot. I don’t think it’d melt the underbody instantaneously but I wouldn’t want to find out after hard track days.

I did remove this (I believe off my power steering rack) and I’ve had no adverse effects or melting metal. If I knew where it went I’d put it back on.

View attachment 158252

A theory but perhaps that heat shielding is to keep keep the cabin temperatures comfortable and maybe it wouldn’t melt the underbody of the car? Just wildly speculating…
I might be wrong but isn't that the starter motor heat shield from round the back of the engine by the exhaust manifold?

I haven't removed any of the heat shields but, curious for the future; If I wrapped the exhaust in heat-wrap and used heat-shielding tape (like the gold stuff you normally see over intake pipes etc) where the shielding was originally, would that be a suitable alternative? I've no care in the world for weight reduction, just simply want to do away with the annoying rattles that the old and tired shielding causes from time to time.

Before anybody suggests getting new clips etc, that's already been done but it only takes a few hard track days and there's another new rattle coming from somewhere in the shielding!

I might be wrong but isn't that the starter motor heat shield from round the back of the engine by the exhaust manifold?
This must be it as it’s right in the area you’re referring to. Just below the manifold. It was loose so I removed it but for the life of me I can’t remember where it was placed exactly.

Removing the shields to then add additional shielding seems counter-productive to me.
The weight saving would be negligible.

Personally, I would leave them on. They're there for a reason, no just for the cables, but also the shielding to the side of the fuel tank to consider also.
Sorry I should have explained it a little better. It was more the ones on there are pretty much trashed rather than any possible weight saving. I thought it may be easier to use a universal product rather than trying to source replacements.
I was thinking of exhaust wrap then possibly further protection for the shift cables to make sure they don't melt! I was curious if anyone had done anything similar just so I have options

Similar Thread Suggestions