Exhaust Advice

Haha in fairness Shuv, I’ve always complimented your scorpion!

Exactly right in what you say about classics running stainless, in all honesty I can’t believe at how naive I was toward how quickly my standard exhaust would deteriorate! Considering it’s only 5 years old I couldn’t believe it! And obviously replacing with standard would bring the same problem further down the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here, one of the best videos with Akra onboard sound I know off.

Note: This one is fresh and a "broken in" one may be a little louder and also create some "pops" here and there.

I've toyo manifold + milltek resonated cat back system and it's not loud at all. In fact I'm sure some would find it too quiet for a 'performance' exhaust. I've had powerflex lower and upper mounts installed together with the manifold and never experienced knocking.

There was a lot of resonance from the manifold at the beginning when the mounts were very stiff (first few thousand miles) and I hated it but then they eased off and got quiet. Then I had the Milltek fitted and the experience was the other way around; Extremely quiet when new, louder but reasonable after a few thousand miles.

It's not droning / annoying but one small problem is that this system sounds louder cruising at 6th gear at 70mph in comparison to 80mph and it gets even quieter at 90mph. Would have been much nicer the other way around. It's never unsociable though, even when you're pressing it. I'll PM you a video to give some idea of the sound and loudness.

Reactions: RossWoods93
Manifold flexis all welded in place! Slowly coming together!

One thing we found was that the drivers side front arch liner, rear section looks like someone punched their fist through it!

Renault quoted £115 for a replacement part, which for a bit of plastic seems pricey! I’m guessing standard Mk3’s aren’t compatible with the RS models? I’ve scavanged eBay but proving a tricky item to find! Contacted a few breakers to see if I can get hold of one!

Attachments

• 6C753F7D-5D98-44DF-A1F9-13BD441D0987.jpeg
    6C753F7D-5D98-44DF-A1F9-13BD441D0987.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: Beany and Micah
Renault do seem to have a thing about over-pricing plastic parts.
The black vent grilles on the back of the wheel arches are £100 each :money:

Picking the Clio back up tonight after a painful stint without it!

- New flexi’s welded in
- Fresh set of brake pads
- Uprated KTEC mounts

My dads took it for test drive as such, said it noticeably vibrates more on the throttle and in the cab when stationary, but that’s to be expected with the new mounts going in!

Christmas Day already, woooo!

Picking the Clio back up tonight after a painful stint without it!

- New flexi’s welded in
- Fresh set of brake pads
- Uprated KTEC mounts

My dads took it for test drive as such, said it noticeably vibrates more on the throttle and in the cab when stationary, but that’s to be expected with the new mounts going in!

Christmas Day already, woooo!

Hurrah! Bet it will feel like a new car when you first drive it. Don't worry about the mounts, they will absolutely settle down after a few hundred miles.

Spent a good while this evening driving the Clio, and can only vouch for what a great job the mechanic did on the car (despite his timely 3 week holiday!)

All noise is now completely gone, so my original guess of the ‘baffles going in the exhaust’ were merely the early stages of the flexi’s giving up!

I’d forgotten how heavy the steering feels compared to an average road car, I felt again like a complete newbie, and my gear ratios were all over the place for the first mile.

The KTEC engine mounts seem to have made a difference to the feel of the car. The car feels more ‘tight’ now, if that makes sense. The throttle seems urgent, and very responsive, more so than it has ever has before. Yes obviously the vibrations have increased, and are somewhat noticeable but not enough to bug me!

Next on the list is more cosmetic work, bit of alloy refurbing to clear some curbing, as well as cracking open the Chipex kit to tackle stone chip!

Then onto the belt service in the new year!

It’s also time i probably start my own project thread!

Spent a good while this evening driving the Clio, and can only vouch for what a great job the mechanic did on the car (despite his timely 3 week holiday!)

All noise is now completely gone, so my original guess of the ‘baffles going in the exhaust’ were merely the early stages of the flexi’s giving up!

I’d forgotten how heavy the steering feels compared to an average road car, I felt again like a complete newbie, and my gear ratios were all over the place for the first mile.

The KTEC engine mounts seem to have made a difference to the feel of the car. The car feels more ‘tight’ now, if that makes sense. The throttle seems urgent, and very responsive, more so than it has ever has before. Yes obviously the vibrations have increased, and are somewhat noticeable but not enough to bug me!

Next on the list is more cosmetic work, bit of alloy refurbing to clear some curbing, as well as cracking open the Chipex kit to tackle stone chip!

Then onto the belt service in the new year!

It’s also time i probably start my own project thread!
Great news Ross. Can’t beat falling in love again!
Of course it’s time you started your own thread:thumb:

Excellent news Ross, very good to hear that you're back in the Clio and out of the shaggin' wagon :smile::smile::smile:

Yep, get the project thread going mate, you have a lovely example that shouldn't be too hidden away (behind ropey vans :smile: )