Engine suddenly cutt out - clio 197

I own a 2007 Clio 197 R27. On my way into work this morning there was a sudden loss of power and I could not rev the engine, the power then kicked back in for no longer than 10 seconds before the revs dropped massively and there was no power to the engine at all.

The RAC mechanic suggested that it sounded like the car was out of fuel, although there was plenty in the tank so makes me think it may be something related to the fuel system. the car then would not start up and the battery ended up going flat.

has anybody experienced anything similar? I have renewed my car insurance this week so hoping for something reasonably straightforward & cheap.

Any help appreciated,

Last edited:
When the car kicked back in for a few seconds was there any nasty noises?

Dont think so no, the car seemed normal when it kicked back in. When i then tried to start it up again after it cut out there was a strange sort of clunking noise if i recall correctly.

Thanks

The cambelt has not yet been done, I purchased the car in February this year & next service is due in January so planned to change belt then

Yeaa, what problems could the overdue cambelt cause?

My first thought was the fuel pump, any idea on the cost of this?

All comments very much appreciated guys

Mine stopped at some traffic lights a few months back and I couldn't get it going until I started playing with the relays/solenoids or whatever their called, I took each one out gave it a tap and put it back until it started, do it one at a time so you don't get them mixed up. Mines been happy for months now.

Last edited:

An overdue cambelt won't have any issues, you will just be one of the lucky ones. So scratch that off.

Sounds like the pump to me, does it just crank over?
Could be fuse box. But my money would be on the pump. When you go to start the car can u hear the pump at all when its cranking?

Mine stopped at some traffic lights a few months back and I couldn't get it going until I started playing with the relays/solenoids or whatever their called, I took each one out gave it a tap and put it back until it started, do it one at a time so you don't get them mixed up. Mines been happy for months now.
Cheers, I'll tell my mechanic to have a look at this

An overdue cambelt won't have any issues, you will just be one of the lucky ones. So scratch that off.

Sounds like the pump to me, does it just crank over?
Could be fuse box. But my money would be on the pump. When you go to start the car can u hear the pump at all when its cranking?

I'm not sure to be honest with you, I've left it up the garage now so can't check. Any idea on the price for a fuel pump?

Cheers

As Mike said the overdue cambelt won't have anything to do with it, it was only a comment. if it goes though kiss the engine goodbye..2 years overdue is a bit of a risk!

No idea on the fuel pump price but I know it's a bitch to replace because it's in the tank. More technically minded people can answer that I suppose [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION]

Cambelt or fuel pump

I had a fuelpump go, just cut out whilst driving. What a PITA, had to be towed home lol!

Hopefully be hearing from the garage at some point today.

If it is the fuel pump that needs replacing is there any advantage of purchasing an uprated one? On demon tweeks the prices vary from about £30 to £830. Obviously not going to be shelling out over £800 for a fuel pump but what would be the difference between a £30 pump and a £150 pump?

Heard back from garage, before they can plug it into the diagnostics they have to replace the battery because it will not hold more than 2 amps. (new battery being fitted as I type) Anybody know what could cause the battery not to be charging?

I'm thinking its got to be related because my battery has not missed a beat since purchasing car in Feb. Could the symptoms I originally posted be related to a battery/alternator problem? The garage has suggested that it could be a problem with the alternator or starter motor.

Does this rule out a fuel system issue?

fingers crossed a new battery springs new life into it, wishful thinking i know!

Hope so, the RAC mechanic said that it sounded like it was out of fuel (was plenty in tank) so just thought this indicated a fuel problem.

Alternator sounds a lot better than anything fuel system related!!!

The battery has now been replaced but no faults are being recognised when plugged into diagnostics. The garage has suggested that there could be a problem with the immobiliser caused by the battery being run completely flat.

Looking like it may have to go to main dealer :thumb1: