'Engine Overheating' - HELP

Hi Guys,

I was on my way back from work today in my clio 200 and the traffic was especially bad. I was stuck going pretty much no where for around 10/15 minutes, when all of a sudden the 'engine overheating' warning light came on and I was told to stop!

Has anyone had this before? - I know being in a tight jam would increase the engine temperature a bit but not to the point of needing to stop.

Is this normal with these types of high powered NA engines or do you think there could be a problem with the radiator or something?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Just leave more space between u and the car infront, if anything it will be the temp sender, mind went, was telling me it was over heating when infact it werent

Had the temp sensor fail on mine at 4000 miles, replaced under warranty.

It should defo not be overheating, especially this time of year no matter how much traffic. If it can't regulate Its heat at idle you have no chance when giving it full belt, even with the airflow of speed.

my 197 does this if its very warm and I'm behind a car exhaust pumping out hot air (but I mean like 28-30C)

check your coolant because in this weather it shouldn't be over heating or as ben/Jonesy says!

It will most likely be a fault with the temp sensor as already mentioned. Least you will be covered under warranty, get it to the dealer and sorted soon as possible!

the fan is run by the temp sensor, so no it wouldnt of kicked in, the temp sensor runs the fan and also tells the ecu how hot/cold its runing, even tho it says its over heating its not and will stop u from starting it

My 197 never reached 90°C, especially now with the airbox, the temperature is always <90°C.

Sometimes when the ambient temp is <15° it doesn't even reach working temperature (the antifreeze I mean) when slowing down after driving hard.

I'd be tempted to suspect the thermostat aswell, also been a problem with a few 197s on here and a 3 bolt job to change.