Engine advice, 225 or 250,

Hi guys I'm after a bit of advice, I've recently bought a Clio 197 and I'm doing the megane swap.
I've tried to do all the research I can and had a good search and all I've found out is the megane 250 engine is believed to be stronger?

im aiming for 350/360bhp from the car to be able to exceed my old golfs power but more on that another time..

Now all all these numbers are good in heinsight but I want it to be reliable. so my question is which engine would be best?

My my reasons for this question is the 250 engine is hard to come across and they cost a lot more than the 225.
So would I be better off buying the 225 engine and doing some work to the block? Or would a 250 engine handle around 340 without work??

i don't want to hold out for a 250 engine and pay more up front when I'd get the same thing from a 225 engine with work and without the wait!

Hope you can see what I'm trying to get at!

I will be most greatful for any help/advice!

Ps sorry for spelling errors I'm using my phone on a crappy connection :s

Hi guys I'm after a bit of advice, I've recently bought a Clio 197 and I'm doing the megane swap.
I've tried to do all the research I can and had a good search and all I've found out is the megane 250 engine is believed to be stronger?

im aiming for 350/360bhp from the car to be able to exceed my old golfs power but more on that another time..

Now all all these numbers are good in heinsight but I want it to be reliable. so my question is which engine would be best?

My my reasons for this question is the 250 engine is hard to come across and they cost a lot more than the 225.
So would I be better off buying the 225 engine and doing some work to the block? Or would a 250 engine handle around 340 without work??

i don't want to hold out for a 250 engine and pay more up front when I'd get the same thing from a 225 engine with work and without the wait!

Hope you can see what I'm trying to get at!

I will be most greatful for any help/advice!

Ps sorry for spelling errors I'm using my phone on a crappy connection :s
[MENTION=50319]Stephenvenning[/MENTION]s [MENTION=1286]litchy[/MENTION]

You're aiming at some big numbers there and either way you're probably looking at forging anyway.

They say the 250 can handle 350, but as Litchy (and I, and others) have found out, it's mighty hard with the Clio setup. It still hasn't been perfected and you'll need to spend some money going down investigative route of how to deliver fuel properly. IF you don't mind dialling it down a little to 320/330, this is probably more achievable. The only person I know who has exceeded these figures is shakey (who's build thread you can read on the forum), and from memory his was a mixture of forged parts. But then he achieved 400bhp. - But it's one of a kind and that dude knows his onions.

If the 225 engines are readily more available, you'll definitely need to forge one of those because you're not seeing north of 300. Even then you may be in risky territory. But then theres things like the ages of the engine to consider and stuff like that.

Either way, for those kinds of figures, you're probably looking at 6-8k to do it properly (assuming you're not doing all the work yourself like Stephen). Don't forget you'll probably want to be looking at gearbox, diff etc as well.

Who are you thinking of getting to do the build for you?

Ok thanks for the help so far guys.
So I will be better off with the 250 engine and working on that then which is fine, has anyone ran meth injection with these set ups before? I used Devils own on my golf as temps were an issue with the intake system but I haven't seen much around?

Can't say I've heard of anyone running it. I would give RSTuning a call, Paul will probably be able to shed more like, or ask on the megsport facebook page.

Back on the hunt for another 197 now. Car I was going to buy the guys had to pull out. Nightmare time I'm having. Think I'll just have to buy a fully mint working car now

I'm working out costs atm and I'm working it out based on getting a 230 Engine and a 230 Gearbox for the LSD. Given that Cadburys seem to have made our gearboxes I personally wouldn't like to keep it and go down the 250/265 engine route, unless there is another box that fits.

Last edited:
it's irrelevant as the r26 gearbox is the only one with an lsd which will fit in the clio.