Elise or VX220 Turbo

Do not touch anything from tvrglen. Very we'll known in the elise community!!

i had an elise bell and Colvill 160. Beautiful Watch out for head gasket failure on any rover engined s2

Cheers Andy. Do you know what the best forums are to join.

Apparently the turbo VX220 isn't the best around corners because of the boost coming on. I would be going for a NA VX220 or an elise (Unless you're a boost pervert)

They're all amazing around corners, regardless of boost or not. The only thing that's different with the Turbo is the power delivery and being slightly heavier. you just have to adapt your driving to suit the turbo. Obviously full boost mid bend isn't going to be smooth. So it's just about using the torque instead, higher gear.

Elise for me, VX doesn't compare.

They're pretty much the same car...
[MENTION=4323]Gez[/MENTION] I was talking to a guy on CS that had the turbo for a few months and he didn't like the power delivery of it compared to driving a NA clio. I still want an elise but can't afford a supercharged one and after driving that exige S I would be upset at the lack of power possibly!

I'm the same, I can't stretch to an S

id be happy with the Toyota 1.8 n/a in the exige/Elise Still the same power as the Clio but much lighter and agile.

I can't remember! I was with seloc for lotus!the vx finish is same as elise more or less, just elise is covered with carpet etc. in terms of performance the vx DOES easily Compare with elise. Turbo is very fast, but I didn't like its handling as much and for what extras you have (central locking etc) it all broke! The 2.2 at around 8k is great value for money but you really need to try one and try not to just get sucked in by the fun stuff, think about driving it most days etc. all of these cars will not loose much in value at all now

They're pretty much the same car...
@Gez I was talking to a guy on CS that had the turbo for a few months and he didn't like the power delivery of it compared to driving a NA clio. I still want an elise but can't afford a supercharged one and after driving that exige S I would be upset at the lack of power possibly!

I'm the same, I can't stretch to an S

id be happy with the Toyota 1.8 n/a in the exige/Elise Still the same power as the Clio but much lighter and agile.

This is pretty much my thoughts with the Exige, if you're going to get one it has to have the blower on it, other wise its not worth it. The Megged Clio is such a capable car so I wouldn't want to get rid for an Exige then regret it months later.

VX220 for me pal never owned one my self but 2 friends have owned the turbo versions and what a car i will point out tho both of the friends who owned them no longer own them one crashed his and the other sold it afer 1 yr of owner ship

For me it's the lotus if it's your only car. I used to prefer the VX, but it's not aged anywhere near as well as the Elise (both generations). No to mention the owner history of anything with a Vaux badge. If it's a track day/second car, yeh go for the cheap thrills VX (turbo), but if it's a daily I'd much rather the Elise.

Or you could sack both of them off and buy an MX5 like a real man:wink: :smiley:

haha I know these guys, I went with them to the Alps back in 2010, also a member in their own forum (Toad).

Henry (the owner of that beast) used to have an Exige S2 running about 300bhp but the gearbox would fail all the time so he sold it and got this one which he then upgraded to the maximum. Some pics when we met at Brands the other month.

11277859306_f26b6e93da_h.jpgIMG_6203 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
11277818985_1e82a6e347_h.jpgIMG_6205 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
11277814415_a0eed79435_h.jpgIMG_6206 by YiannisR27, on Flickr
11277810305_ccb0467d1b_h.jpgIMG_6208 by YiannisR27, on Flickr

Honda supercharged chargecooled running crazy power, combine this with low weight and you get the picture.

Anyway back on topic, @Fernandez your best bet is to find an already Honda converted example mate. These have to be the best fun cars ever, I do prefer them to the supercharged ones. Crazy NA engine running 200bhp at the wheels and 750kgs (talking about the S1 elise). I've been a passenger in a few of these cars and all I have to say is WOW...

Last edited:
My god that's delicious.

Also [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION], "short back and sides sir?". Shame I forgot my scissors at the weekend :wink:

We had a S1 exige in work the other day running stand alone ecu

Sounded crazy

1zyznv5.jpg

vx220 2.2 engine timing chairs aint right good wearing!

lotus with k16 engine - can give trouble but if one of the new improved head sets are fitted they usually don't give much trouble..

think the usual applies.. buy the one with the best history/condition

Been looking at so many this week. I have noticed that a large amount are Cat D. This is largely due to them being written off by assessors when they receive damage to either the front or rear clam. I've seen one S1 Elise for 3k that needs new clams. I can get the motorsport exige clams for about 2k, 1.5k for a good paint job and your on your way to an epic build.

Anyone wanna buy a Clio... lol

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Clio General Chat 24
Sideshowfred Other Marques 14
Stevoox Other Marques 5
ashtons99 Other Marques 8