Elise or VX220 Turbo

Fernandez

Gold Member
Thinking about getting another motor to play with. I'd love an Exige but the supercharged ones are serious money and tbh I don't think I could live with one as a daily ride as to get one I'd have to sell the Clio.

So that leads me onto the cheaper Mk2 Elise. Always had a soft spot for these and prices are pretty good at the moment but they do look to be holding value very well. The Mk1's seem to be going up which is always a good sign too but they are getting on a bit.
1cGv3.jpg

Then there's the VX220 that I could throw into the mix. Personally I prefer the idea of the turbo but has anyone ever owned the Vaxhaull or Lotus? What are they like to live with. Any known problems to watch out for and will they make me smile like the Clio?

Last edited:
I believe the n.a vx220 has a weak engine, plenty of rebuilds on these, not so much the turbo

Rare and rapid, id have the vx turbo, think you would get bored of the elises power

Get an Elise and put a K20 engine from an EP3 Civic or DC5 Integra

Great match!

Been looking at those on a Honda Elise site tonight. Around 8k for the conversion they look nuts. Also been looking at Motorsport clams for the S1..

These are all I look at. Exige S would be my wish list one. Loved it at the 'ring when I hired one

It's not all about power with these cars, they're so light, 200hp in an 850kg is going to fly.

I'd go for the vx220 turbo as a budget/enjoyable car, as in there won't be big money tied up in it.

Easy to tune and parts are cheap. Most are CAT D now, but that's bound to happen being fibreglass shells.

I've had both,
will it be your only car?

No, we have Caroline's car, she's getting a new one when we come back from holiday later in the summer so that's the family car. I'd like to keep the Clio but we'll see.

which versions did you have and which one would you choose to have again?

Buy the elise and take it to TDI North! :smile:

1385618_427078467398822_1963438695_n_zps31129541.jpg

[video=youtube_share;cqCsss6eVYA]http://youtu.be/cqCsss6eVYA[/video]​

Last edited:
Why is that? What makes the 111 better than the 2.2?

Its more user friendly, vx is a very raw car. Elise had carpets, sun visors, air con, remote locking. Non of that in vx
the blower on vx is terrible, I mean really bad, in winter months it's impossible to fully clear the windscreen inside. The vx roof is thinner too.
That said is the elise worth about 8k more? As a fun every now and then car, in my opinion no get a vx, But used every day, elise is better
one of my headlights fell out of the elise! And the vx I just had engine mounts to replace

mind I never had bother really with the two, can't say the same for the vx turbo

Do not touch anything from tvrglen. Very we'll known in the elise community!!

i had an elise bell and Colvill 160. Beautiful Watch out for head gasket failure on any rover engined s2

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Clio General Chat 24
Sideshowfred Other Marques 14
Stevoox Other Marques 5
ashtons99 Other Marques 8