Drive shaft?

massivewangers

Paid Member
Ok, got a bit of an issue with my 197 and wanted some advice...

I'm getting a vibration through the car under acceleration, from around 45-70mph. It seems worse if you're in a higher gear when the engine is labouring more. If you sit at a steady speed in that range, it's not nearly so severe, but you can still feel it a small amount.

There is no vibration through the steering wheel, so I don't think it's a front wheel out of balance/bent and the fact the vibration is much more severe under acceleration makes me doubt that it's a rear wheel. That and it feels more like the front than the rear.

I've given the shafts a wobble and there is no obvious play. I tried driving in circles on full lock and there was no clicking or anything. I can't think what else it would be though, so I thought I would see if anyone else had any similar experiences?

The car is a boggo 197 on about 95k for reference.

If it is a shaft, where is the best place to get one? ECP and RPD don't seem to list them?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Any more details? Mounts and bushes condition? Gearbox out recently? Do you have an LSD?

Mounts probably aren't perfect. I've put a powerflex insert in the lower, but the car is 100% standard otherwise (well apart from a stainless exhaust).

The engine doesn't feel like it's rocking about loads. Don't think the gearbox has had anything done.

Sounds exactly the same as mine when my drive shaft was faulty. Massive vibration at those speeds when you put your foot down, way more than if your tyres are out of balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: massivewangers
Sounds exactly the same as mine when my drive shaft was faulty. Massive vibration at those speeds when you put your foot down, way more than if your tyres are out of balance.

Yeah definitely worse than a wheel. Where did you get the new shaft?

I haven't had a look at the intermediate bearing yet. It wasn't very appealing in a gale.

I had allot of work done at the same time. I had it done at four ashes in the West Midlands. Good luck mate.