Downgrade or upgrade?

Hi folks, so I have just sold my R26 and got into a 197 Cup, yes I do miss the power, but this things a go cart!

Some would say its a downgrade, what do you guys think?

7dd0db29c213ec27b1fed7fc5347d66e.jpg

f63e58549c6e823cb81b6b8e90c9c820.jpg

a0971ff1e4c65291b29087002cf99999.jpg

82b40c527b0f4f2dc34a82f41adc5c24.jpg

Last edited:
Great question on a clio forum.. the R26 looks like a box with a turbo and your 197 has a great back end and it's NA. Definitely an upgrade :wink:

Both very different cars!

I'd dare say the Clio is the more driver focused, especially in cup spec. As you say it handles like a go cart, plus you have to spank it's arse to make it go which can be great fun when on the right road. I'd imagine the MEG being effortless and easy to drive quickly but not as involving perhaps?

I've had quite a few cars over the years and it's always the little N/A hot hatches which handle well that I've had the most fun in, despite maybe not going as quickly as others. It's all about the aural senses and noise for me too, can't beat the sound of a high revving N/A engine in my opinion!

Welcome along!

If your happy with the car and how it has to be driven compared to the Meg, then it doesn't matter what people would class as upgrade or downgrade, just enjoy driving it!

Welcome to the forum!

I think the Clio looks great, the aero kit finishes it off nicely!

Driving experience over outright power.
High revving NA over FI.
Great looking over back of a spoon ugly (in my opinion).

Yep, upgrade. Don't worry about the lack of power, just spank it hard, way more fun!

Thanks for the welcome guys!
To be honest i don't really care what people think just wondered what peoples take would be on it and yes just as lots of the guys mentioned they are two different cars. Ive had a few hot hatches myself, and 3 megs before the r26, this is the first clio though. The handling is great on these cars i mean the meg was really very good one of the best turbo hatches for handling imo, but these cup clios are just amazing, ive always been a fan of the 197 and i do agree with some people i do think the 197 is probably the best looking Renaults ever, bar the clio v6 which is beautiful. But yeah i do like the clio and hopefully it will be a little less troublesome as some megs ive had.

they handle great..always have to be very careful when driving something else..still think im in a clio and it could go wrong :foxspeed:

Defo upgrade :
ive owned both the megane r26 and the clio 197
i would go for the clio everytime (i have just bought my 3rd 197) they look better and play better
yes the megane is quick but it dont put a grin on ur face when you get in it
and your clio looks mint with the cup spoilers

Similar Thread Suggestions