Door handles and those annoying lock buttons

I know i'm not alone here but the external door locking button (keyless) I've read many posts about these being temperamental & bad design so failing due to water ingress.

Problem I have is the passenger side button has been temperamental in operating but now seems to have stopped working completely.

Just wondered does anyone know if the button switch and assume by it's action is probably a microswitch is available to replace on it's own or whether you have to buy a complete handle and how much they are.

Only ever heard of people replacing the whole thing on here I think. IIRC Foxspeed changed his, I think he put up a thread about it, try having a search.

Only ever heard of people replacing the whole thing on here I think. IIRC Foxspeed changed his, I think he put up a thread about it, try having a search.

wasnt the outer handle was the optical sensor that packed in

the megane buttons are available separately but not sure if you can get the 197 ones as a separate item

pm twingogeeko :smile:

Thanks for giving me Foxspeed's name as earlier did do search but so much stuff came up that wasn't relevant, but now using Foxspeeds name, found one which did indeed talk about the optical sensor (but the link is now dead)

But what you mentioned about mobile phone in that thread, well I always have my phone on me, so just went out without phone and just tried it and it's working :smile: so either phone is messing about with signal or it is water as button has now had a chance to dry out as thinking about when it stopped working and over past few days it's been raining

Mine are sometimes temperamental too :worried:. Sounds like everyones are tbh. Most of the time it works but then sometimes it doesnt!

Also read something about it being to do with mobile phones signal etc blahhh!

iv used the door button since getting the car, 2 years now never no bother with it, not once.

I take it then your's is a 2009? As I suspect it is not old enough yet for it to be an issue, as it may have a rubber seal which is breaking down over age.

Just tested again today and having been dry and sunny it's still working. This weekend is supposed to be raining so I'll see if it stops working again and if so got 2 options try some PTFE based contact protector which I can spray into the gap and then see if that helps to keep the water out/contacts clean or other option is to glue some clear silicon sheet over the handle surround and completely cover the button area, similar principle to the boot lock button.

Similar Thread Suggestions