Difficulty removing brake pins

Hi, so yesterday I thought i would strip down the front calipers and fit some new pads so that I knew the brakes had been serviced and changed to avoid loosing braking performance. However, I couldnt managed to knock out the pins. before attempting the job i liberally sprayed them the night before with penetrating spray but they still wouldnt budge. Any tips to get them out without ruining the pins? Or should I bite the bullet and replace the pins?

Cheers for any help/advice

Adrian

you will most likely need new pins by the sound of it, if its badly rusted it can potentially snap. you could try to heat them up to get them out but you will need new pins by the sounds of it.

Replace the pins, they are well known to seize into the calipers. There are basically 3 options for this: 1) OE Brembo parts, £60, 2) Pattern parts from a 3rd party maker sold by the likes of Eurocarparts, £16 and finally, 3) uprated stainless steel ones from [MENTION=2479]mrpink[/MENTION] (there is a sticky on these), £40. I have option 3 and couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Now to get them out you'll need a big hammer, a drift of some sort and a good aim. They need a really good thump to get them shifted. A kettle of boiling water over the caliper may also help. Some on here have had to cut them out others have had to go further than that to get them out. You might also find that the inside pad on both sides is also seized into the caliper too.

Take the caliper off using a 12mm allen key! Lay it on a mat on the ground and smack away. You get a better hit and they can pop out straight away. I had the same issue with them not moving. Took them off and once i could get a better hit on them there was no problem. I would also not use heat on my caliper!!

1. don't use a small hammer

2. give then a proper smack with a hammer/punch

3. give then a really big smack with a hammer/punch

4. don't hit them like a fairy!

if you hit them right THEY do come out!

Ok I'll have to give these ideas a try. I'll definitely think about getting the stainless ones for the future though!

I hammered mine for hours and they didn't move at all. The punch just started destroying the end of the pin making it harder to get a good hit on them.

I took it to my trusted local garage and it took them 2 days to change the pads - Thats how bad they were!

I thought i might have to take mine to a garage until i put a 3 1/2 lb lump hammer to it :lol: Worked a treat!!

Did mine last night :-D (always have a new set of pins ready by the way) mine were well stuck,
tip! try as I did pop the spring/shield out of the way, then try using moles to spin the pins to to break the hold the caliper has,
and yes then a bit of hammer with a good punch does the job :-D also you could try removing the disc, rebolting the caliper back on an then you get a better grip on the pin, if trying to spin to release if you get my drift :-D

Last edited: