Diff choice

adamgas85

Gold Member
Apologies if this has been asked before but I’m looong at fitting a diff to my clio 200.
Currently the car is a normal remapped clio 200 but seriously considering charging it if I keep it long term.
The car is only used to drive to and from the track and on track.

Options are
Black line
Quaife
Gripper
wavetrac

What’s are people using and pros and cons etc. I don’t want to be rebuilding it every few months either. I realise two are plate type diffs.

Thanks in advance

I did a bit of research on diffs before I went for a Gripper. I spoke with Alex at AW Motorworks and he said there is virtually no difference, other than price, between a Blackline and a Quaife. The backline is a copy of the Quaife and performs just as well.

The Gripper, as you know, is a plated diff and depending on how many miles you do in the car will wear and need to be serviced. The plates in the Gripper are replaceable and when they stop functioning as they should the plates can be replaced. Apparently you can check the wear on the Gripper by putting the front wheels in the air and using a tour wrench to measure how much resistance the Gripper is providing?

The Wavetrac has the advantage over a Blackline and Quaife as it will still function even if one wheel comes off the ground.

I made the decision to go for a Gripper that was not an all out track spec, but was fast road/trackday 40/65 ramps 60nm. Most of the changes that have been made to my Clio have been track orientated recently and I decided to make the sacrifice that if the diff needed to be serviced from time to time then so be it - provided that it gave me more grip on track days.

Reactions: adamgas85
I did a bit of research on diffs before I went for a Gripper. I spoke with Alex at AW Motorworks and he said there is virtually no difference, other than price, between a Blackline and a Quaife. The backline is a copy of the Quaife and performs just as well.

The Gripper, as you know, is a plated diff and depending on how many miles you do in the car will wear and need to be serviced. The plates in the Gripper are replaceable and when they stop functioning as they should the plates can be replaced. Apparently you can check the wear on the Gripper by putting the front wheels in the air and using a tour wrench to measure how much resistance the Gripper is providing?

The Wavetrac has the advantage over a Blackline and Quaife as it will still function even if one wheel comes off the ground.

I made the decision to go for a Gripper that was not an all out track spec, but was fast road/trackday 40/65 ramps 60nm. Most of the changes that have been made to my Clio have been track orientated recently and I decided to make the sacrifice that if the diff needed to be serviced from time to time then so be it - provided that it gave me more grip on track days.
How noticeable is the noise on the gripper diff? I’d be concerned of looking/sounding a tit doing a 3point turn in a car park!

• Haha
Reactions: RSRowe
It is loud and makes the car sound like it is broken doing manoeuvres at slow speeds, but it really improves the handling of the car.

Reactions: Big Ben
From what I have read as well I can’t add too much to the above.
Gripper or any plated diff is the one to go for for track. Take the hit on the fact it needs a regular oil change (every 3-6 track days depending on where you read)

I have one in my Meglio and had a quaife in my NA.
You can tell it deals with the distribution better.
Especially with the added torque of the Megane engine. Don’t think the quaife would deal that well

that said. The quaife on my NA one at 213 bhp it dealt with it really well.
So I’d be tempted to fit and forget that again though as it’s cheaper and easier.
Sorry this doesn’t help your decision

It all helps thanks Strell. Think what I’ll do is go for the cheapest(black line) if it’s the same as the quaife. That will do fine for the current setup, then if I charge it at a later date see how it copes. Can always go for a more extreme plate type diff if it isn’t upto the job when it has more torque than the stock setup.

Reactions: strell
I have a 3J (plated) diff in my track Clio, although I do drive it to and from on the road. But it is an out and out track car with no comfort for the road.

The 3J diff made a huge difference on track, it really is very good. But if it is a road car I wouldn't be putting a plated diff in. Its great on the road when you are on it, but it is noisey and clunky and not as nice as the standard diff (could be compared to quaife/blackline) in my 275 megane that I only use on the road.

When researching diffs the wavetrac seemed like a great happy medium, but there is little info on them and I dunno if they are noisey etc

Thanks, it’s is purely just for track and the drive to and from. If I do drive it on the road it’s balls out on B roads. I have other road cars for more normal driving. My mate has a wavetrac in a golf rallye, I wouldn’t say it’s that loud tbh but the whole car is loud…..

I haven’t heard of 3j

Thanks, it’s is purely just for track and the drive to and from. If I do drive it on the road it’s balls out on B roads. I have other road cars for more normal driving. My mate has a wavetrac in a golf rallye, I wouldn’t say it’s that loud tbh but the whole car is loud…..

I haven’t heard of 3j
Ahh track only plated all the way. 3J were a bit cheaper than gripper which is why I went for that. Not sure if they still make them for Clios, ktec used to to sell them with their logo on it but they sold off the last few a couple years ago cheaper, thats when I got mine.

Actually a bit dearer than they used to be, can see the ktec logo on it. They used to be a bit over £600 i thought on their website and a bit over £700 on ktec I think. Then ktec sold the last few off "cheaper" at the same price as the 3J site haha

There are 2 over here in Northern Ireland including mine that are used for sprints and hillclimbs and we have had no issues with them.

When researching diffs the wavetrac seemed like a great happy medium, but there is little info on them and I dunno if they are noisey etc
I drive a wavetrac in my daily , its equal or marginal louder then standard , but so far i know , they dont build them anymore for the clio.